Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New use for a dead sky router

This is a discussion on New use for a dead sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I ordered a replacement router when mine died. At the time I asked how would I return the old router. ...

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New use for a dead sky router

I ordered a replacement router when mine died. At the time I asked how would I return the old router. I was told on the phone that there was no need to bother and to just bin the old one. So I hope sky don't come asking me for my old one.

2. Advertisement
      d3fiant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Emerson Valley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

@ indefatigable

look fella, Im not being dishonest, I did ask the not-to-helpful support bod when I got router 3 what they wanted done with the two dead routers, the response was 'if they are broken they are of no use to sky', I even asked him to repeat as his grasp of the english language was less than reassuring. They are more than welcome to ask for the two broken ones, I will promptly direct them to the local landfill, if they get arsy I will simply ask to speak to disconnections and cancel my subscription

At the end of the day I just posted incase anyone else might find this info usefull, I appreciate ur trying to bring the other side of the argument to the table, thats done now so ffs move along. Oh and no I didnt break them, they were both DOA
      SKY BB MAX
      -=Main PC=- C2D 6600 - AB9 Pro - 896MB GTX260 - 4GB RAM DDR667 - 1.8TB Storage

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      and they will not charge wholesale price, because thats not how much the routers cost to customers. the router is roughly 60, and that is what they will charge
      I'm sorry, the argument that what it costs is what Sky choose to charge at some point in the future has no legal precedent. The product has no declared price when supplied to the customer. One could simply point to the price for the nearest equivalent (ie the Netgear retail version) as a reference point. Sky is not a retailer of these products so could not charge a "retail" price -- only seek to recover its cost (i.e. the price it paid Netgear).

One would also argue that the unit, now used and possibly defective has little or no value. For example I purchased a working one in a car boot sale for 6. This, quite literally, establishes a market price for a used Sky router at 6 -- so a claim for 60 could be shown to be a gross overclaim and thus anything a court might otherwise be minded to award could be further reduced at the court's discretion.
      Last edited by fihart; 24-07-07 at 09:15 PM.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Aye oop D3fiant

I hadda quick gander in my supposedly defunkt sky router (I'm using my old 54G netgear router) and lo and behold you are right LOL. I extricated the said mini pci wlan card and fitted it into my Acer lappy. Had a quick rise in heart rate when I saw that the card in my Acer had an auxilary connection which is not on the Atheros card. Anyway decided to press on with it and it WORKS !! One word of warning the aux connection on the Atheros is there but its been replaced by a VERY flimsy strip of tin located just above the chip screening can. I managed to break this off and the card then ceased to work. You need a very small soldering iron and a VERY steady hand to put it back. So be careful if you decide to upgrade your laptop in this way. Luckily I do have a very small soldering iron and a steady hand. I still dont know what the auxilary connection does though on the original card or on the Atheros card. I have just left the wire that was connected to the original card disconnected and suitably insulated with some tape tucked away inside the mini pci compartment.

Anyway thanks for that tip D3fiant that was a good un.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Adendum to above.

I need a decent !08 Mbps router now to take advantage of it LOL.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

@newsreader

Yeah, but the guy received 3 routers, not 2, so they can charge for 2 routers
      Sorry I read it as 2 - I apologise, you are correct in that case.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I'm sorry, the argument that what it costs is what Sky choose to charge at some point in the future has no legal precedent. The product has no declared price when supplied to the customer. One could simply point to the price for the nearest equivalent (ie the Netgear retail version) as a reference point. Sky is not a retailer of these products so could not charge a "retail" price -- only seek to recover its cost (i.e. the price it paid Netgear).

One would also argue that the unit, now used and possibly defective has little or no value. For example I purchased a working one in a car boot sale for 6. This, quite literally, establishes a market price for a used Sky router at 6 -- so a claim for 60 could be shown to be a gross overclaim and thus anything a court might otherwise be minded to award could be further reduced at the court's discretion.
      The only way of determining it's worth is for Sky to put a Retail Value on the router. I paid 99 for my none Sky one, about 18 months ago. But we all know Sky do not sell them, so unless Sky say they are X amount, I don't think they could hit you with a big bill. I know at least 5 people who have been sent 4 or more, being connected and then having to wait for the router to arrive. Too many phone calls and different departments, and it would appear no idea of where their stock is.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Aye oop D3fiant

I hadda quick gander in my supposedly defunkt sky router (I'm using my old 54G netgear router) and lo and behold you are right LOL. I extricated the said mini pci wlan card and fitted it into my Acer lappy. Had a quick rise in heart rate when I saw that the card in my Acer had an auxilary connection which is not on the Atheros card. Anyway decided to press on with it and it WORKS !! One word of warning the aux connection on the Atheros is there but its been replaced by a VERY flimsy strip of tin located just above the chip screening can. I managed to break this off and the card then ceased to work. You need a very small soldering iron and a VERY steady hand to put it back. So be careful if you decide to upgrade your laptop in this way. Luckily I do have a very small soldering iron and a steady hand. I still dont know what the auxilary connection does though on the original card or on the Atheros card. I have just left the wire that was connected to the original card disconnected and suitably insulated with some tape tucked away inside the mini pci compartment.

Anyway thanks for that tip D3fiant that was a good un.
      yep, I v e r y carefully bent the tin strip and it seemed ok. The wireless mini PCI card it replaced also had another connection, I assumed this was power and that the atheros card takes its power from the bus, seems to work ok. My m8 is gettin a nice 108mbps connection to his sky router now so its lookin good
      SKY BB MAX

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

in laptops it normally connects to two wires, they are antennas
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwardw View Post
      in laptops it normally connects to two wires, they are antennas
      The several more recent laptops Ive seen only have the single antenna
      SKY BB MAX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123