Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New use for a dead sky router

This is a discussion on New use for a dead sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; there is an adapter card that plugs into PCI, u then plug the mini-pci into that, however I cant see ...

d3fiant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Emerson Valley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: New use for a dead sky router

there is an adapter card that plugs into PCI, u then plug the mini-pci into that, however I cant see that being cost effective

Mini PCI slot

£10 for the adapter, looks like u can even screw the Sky router arial to it as well
      SKY BB MAX
      -=Main PC=- C2D 6600 - AB9 Pro - 896MB GTX260 - 4GB RAM DDR667 - 1.8TB Storage

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Erm, i hope you realise that Sky will come looking for those broadband boxes, as they do cost roughly £60 each. If you've broken them, you will be charged, and that will be your own fault.

how do I know this, I work for Sky, and yes, it is in the broadband department. Sky will come a-knocking one day, so if you broken 2 routers, be prepared to cough up £120 to pay Sky.

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its not called Mini-PCI, thats a different thing (internal laptop card)
      they are called PCMCIA
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Erm, i hope you realise that Sky will come looking for those broadband boxes, as they do cost roughly £60 each. If you've broken them, you will be charged, and that will be your own fault.

how do I know this, I work for Sky, and yes, it is in the broadband department. Sky will come a-knocking one day, so if you broken 2 routers, be prepared to cough up £120 to pay Sky.
      According to the Terms and Conditions:

3. The Wireless Router
      (a) As part of the Sky Broadband service Sky will supply one Wireless Router to you under
      this Contract.
      (b) You can choose to either install your Wireless Router yourself (“Self Install”) or have
      SHS install it for you on Sky’s behalf (“Home Installation”). If you choose Self Install,
      SHS will send your Wireless Router on Sky’s behalf to your Address and you must
      comply fully with all reasonable installation instructions and advice that SHS or we
      provide to you. If you choose Home Installation you should read the terms and
      conditions for Home Installation (set out at the end of this Contract). You may have to
      pay for Home Installation. We will tell you the amount of this fee before charging you.
      (c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on
      installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install.

Therefore they could only charge for one if a person received 2 routers.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwardw View Post
      Its not called Mini-PCI, thats a different thing (internal laptop card)
      they are called PCMCIA
      sorry fella, but PCMCIA and mini-pci are two different beats and we are talkin about the correct one in this thread. PCMCIA is an external cardbus technology, mini-pci is an internal PCI bus technology in a format that is used in some laptops
      SKY BB MAX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      According to the Terms and Conditions:

3. The Wireless Router
      (a) As part of the Sky Broadband service Sky will supply one Wireless Router to you under
      this Contract.
      (b) You can choose to either install your Wireless Router yourself (“Self Install”) or have
      SHS install it for you on Sky’s behalf (“Home Installation”). If you choose Self Install,
      SHS will send your Wireless Router on Sky’s behalf to your Address and you must
      comply fully with all reasonable installation instructions and advice that SHS or we
      provide to you. If you choose Home Installation you should read the terms and
      conditions for Home Installation (set out at the end of this Contract). You may have to
      pay for Home Installation. We will tell you the amount of this fee before charging you.
      (c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on
      installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install.

Therefore they could only charge for one if a person received 2 routers.
      plus my two spare routers are indeed dead, one continually reboots every two seconds, the other does not function as an adsl modem (wireless and switch work fine)
      SKY BB MAX

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Given that the Netgear version of the router can be found retail inc VAT for under £64 it would be unwise for Sky to pursue you for more than the likely wholesale price of the device -- say £35 -- or less as they probably bought the units in much greater bulk than any UK retailer could.

Furthermore, it is clear that Sky are sending out replacement units quite unnecessarily because unqualified staff imagine that is an easier solution than actually giving you the technical support they purport to provide and for which you have paid both by subscription and via premium phone line. I doubt very much if those receiving the replacement are actually informed at the time that they may have to return it or the one it replaces, let alone the cost of failure to do so.

Any legal attempt at enforcement would probably fail on the above grounds alone.
      Last edited by fihart; 24-07-07 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I received a replacement router, included was a 'return' form to be completed when returning an item. The form also gave a freepost address for returning the router. I returned mine within a few days, but have still to receive an acknowledgement. I assume that all replacement routers would have included this and I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned it.
      I must agree with the poster who suggested Sky would be looking for payment for routers which had not been returned, the contract states that they will supply a router free of charge, not an unlimited number of them.
      If you received a replacement for something you had bought which proved faulty, you would not expect to keep the old one would you? In fact, in most cases you would have to return the faulty item before you received a replacement. Sky, probably in an attempt at good customer relations, have not insisted on the faulty one being returned before sending out another. Someday there will have to be a reckoning.
      I will now don my flameproof coat

Thanks

personally for me I did ask about sending the broken ones back, they had no interest in that, I also did not have any returns labels in the replacement. If they badger me I will simply say that I binned them, there were afterall faulty
      SKY BB MAX

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

yes, but sometimes a faulty router can be repaired, and hence, be refurbished. Sky can take upto 6 months to ask for the replacements, so if you have broken them when they come calling, they will charge

and they will not charge wholesale price, because thats not how much the routers cost to customers. the router is roughly £60, and that is what they will charge

@newsreader

Yeah, but the guy received 3 routers, not 2, so they can charge for 2 routers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast