Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

home town in webpage adverts

This is a discussion on home town in webpage adverts within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My hometown keeps showing in webpage advertisements. For instance, "Buy such and such from <MY HOMETOWN> and "save 's when ...

dave p is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

home town in webpage adverts

My hometown keeps showing in webpage advertisements. For instance, "Buy such and such from <MY HOMETOWN> and "save 's when you buy whatever from <MY HOMETOWN>, or " meet your ideal partner in <MY HOMETOWN>" or "meet lots of sexy girls in <MYHOMETOWN>" (which by the way I know is a lie) lol. And also some more dubious adverts.
      Seriously though, when I was with BT and using a Dlink router, this never happened. The adverts were the same but the address link was also somewhere else, usually Ripe, which I know is where a lot of internet traffic is routed through or any place other than my hometown.
      This has only started to happen since I went with Sky and got their router.
      I have emailed Easynet to ask if there's any way I can configure the router but they never answered.
      I am quite disturbed by keep seeing my hometown plastered all over my internet pages.
      Does anyone know how I can stop this?

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      velcrohead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Royston (EARST)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: home town in webpage adverts

One thing I have noticed is that the first sky hop on a tracert shows your exchange code, Maybe it gets it from this, But personally I would not worry about it.
      Have you got a link and I will check what it says for me.
      I know when I was with Zen I used to get the same as you are but they all said Rochdale, Which is where Zen are based.
      Maybe you live in the same area that Sky BB is based.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

no, i get the same and it says 'coventry' for me.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Moved from router stats forum

Quote Originally Posted by dave p View Post
      I am quite disturbed by keep seeing my hometown plastered all over my internet pages.
      Does anyone know how I can stop this?
      Nothing to do with the router. The adds are reading your IP details.

There are several ways you can deal with this "problem". First off, I'm assuming these are legitimate adverts not pop ups which may be indicative of malware on your PC? If you don't already, download and run something like Lavasoft (free version).

The crudest but most effective method to prevent people knowing roughly where you live would be to use a proxy server. The downside to this is that it will cost you or if you use a free one will slow your connection down enormously.

The best way to stop ads being shown would be to use a free ad-blocking extension to your browser e.g. I use Firefox and Adblock so hardly see an advert any more for anything I don't want to.

A proxy can make you effectively completely anonymous whereas the adblocker just prevents the display of ads plus the response to some web "bugs".

However, does it really matter if your home town is known to advertisers? I can't see how this info could be used by them other than to give a degree of personalisation to the ads.
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-07-07 at 07:34 PM.

dave p is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the replies.
      They are definitely not pop ups. I know quite a bit about malware and spyware and never have any problem with that. I am very well protected due to bad experiences over many years of using the internet.
      These are advertisements actually embedded within the web page. You can tell that the advert is a proforma embedded line that has a space in it for a "hometown" name to be inserted. Your "hometown" is usually in a different font.
      I agree with you Saturday that they are probably harmless. It's just weird seeing my hometown all over the web page especially as I only live in a small town in the North East of England and not used to such rampant "publicity". lol
      The only time that my hometown doesn't show is if for some reason I have to reset the router with the button at the back. Then the adverts will display the name of a completely different town name. But after a short while it reverts back to showing my hometown name.
      I will try to find a link with lot of adverts embedded in it for you velcrohead.
      Anyway, thanks again for the help people.