Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving from Virgin - what speed might I get?

This is a discussion on Moving from Virgin - what speed might I get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm looking into moving to Sky for broadband from Virginmedia. Im currently on the Freedom, indirect service using my ...

Fernwood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newark
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained

Hi,

I'm looking into moving to Sky for broadband from Virginmedia. Im currently on the Freedom, indirect service using my BT line.

I've read through a lot of these posts and there seems to be a mix of people having no problems at all, to people having lots of issues with Sky Broadband.

Im currently being told I can only have a 512k connection (BT line will only permit this) I know my downlink attenuation figure puts me at around 4.5Km from the exchange which is the reason for this. However, looking at my noise margin, if I'm correct, I should be capable of speeds of around 2Mb.

There is nothing wrong with my service at the moment, but I will benefit financially if I move, but I don't want to loose any quality in service however, if I can improve my speed, this would be an added positive.

Please could someone look at my stats and try to answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Am I correct in thinking I should be able to recieve a higher connection than 512Kb with my current set up?

2. If I move to sky, would they be in a position to offer me a higher connection than 512Kb?

These stats were not taken from the test socket, but the router is directly plugged into one of the modified faceplates (Clarity etc...) where the BT line enters the house.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 525 514 0 385 1613 00:05:01
      LAN 10M/100M 873 861 0 1937 51 00:05:34
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 154 0 0 108 0 00:05:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.4 db 14.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Moving from Virgin - what speed might I get?

Your current attenuation of 63.5db relates to your current ADSL mode and so is not directly comparable to that which you would have moving across to Sky. My best guess is that you may get a sync of up to 2000kbps and I'd be fairly confident (assuming your line is relatively noise free) that you'd get at least 1000kbps. There's no way to know though until you try so you'll have to decide whether the cost saving is worth the (small) chance you'll be no better and possibly worse off.

Fernwood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newark
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Re: Moving from Virgin - what speed might I get?

Thanks for the reply Saturday.

Cheers !