Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BB Not Working After 2 Weeks of (un)use

This is a discussion on BB Not Working After 2 Weeks of (un)use within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I first got Sky BB Max on 5/7/07 and set it up and everything worked great. I made this thread ...

anotheruser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glenfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BB Not Working After 2 Weeks of (un)use

I first got Sky BB Max on 5/7/07 and set it up and everything worked great. I made this thread at that time:

New to ADSL - Does This Look Right?

Since then the BB has not been used - we thought we'd just use our Virgin Media BB until it got disconnected (which will be this Friday).

My problem is that when I went to connect to the Sky router today I found I had no internet connection. No connections or anything have been touched on the Sky router since it was first all connected on 5/7/07.

I can connect to the router fine (wirelessly) and looking at the status page it looks like I have no internet connection (and the lack of the 'i' Internet light on the router would seem to confirm this). Please see attached image for a screenshot of the router status page.

I have contacted Technical Support but they are utter plonkers. The bloke tried to tell me it was a problem with my Buffalo network adaptor being incompatible with the Sky Netgear router, but I know for a fact its a problem on their side, or the router being unable to connect or something.

So anyone have any ideas? Does Sky stop the service if it hasn't been used for a certain length of time? Any help would be appreciated.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB Not Working After 2 Weeks of (un)use-screeny.jpg  
      Last edited by anotheruser; 18-07-07 at 07:49 PM.

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: BB Not Working After 2 Weeks of (un)use

Quote Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post

So anyone have any ideas? Does Sky stop the service if it hasn't been used for a certain length of time? Any help would be appreciated.
      It doesn't stop due to underuse - I wonder if you were ever connected to Sky at all. There's been some discussions about whether you can be connected to two BB providers at once but I believe its unusual.

Is the BB light on your router lit?
      What happens when you run the Sky test (bottom of router screen).
      Wonder if you'll get error 300?

The process of transfer from one provider to another sometimes seems to take a few days to sort.

Good luck.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey Allen thanks for your reply.

It was definately connected on 5/7/07. Our old BB provider was NTL/Virgin Media which is cable, so there shouldn't be any problem with having 2 providers at one time.

The Internet light on the router is not lit.

When I run the Sky Test it gives me an error code: 100.

I'm convinced I have no Sky broadband coming in on the line. It's as if they've just switched us off.

Any other ideas?

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
      Hey Allen thanks for your reply.

It was definately connected on 5/7/07. Our old BB provider was NTL/Virgin Media which is cable, so there shouldn't be any problem with having 2 providers at one time.

The Internet light on the router is not lit.

When I run the Sky Test it gives me an error code: 100.

I'm convinced I have no Sky broadband coming in on the line. It's as if they've just switched us off.

Any other ideas?

Needs someone cleverer than me I'm afraid - no doubt they'll be along soon. In the meantime this link about error codes may be of interest.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/wiki/index....odes_Explained

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Error 100 indicates there is no broadband signal on your line!

You have a fault or you were never connected in the first place!

Your buffalo card has nothing to do with your router not locking onto a BB signal!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

have you had a line fault recently? BT will disconnect a line to fix a PSTN fault and won't re-jumper the line for BB until we report it....
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 19-07-07 at 11:03 PM. Reason: hadn't read things properly
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      have you had a line fault recently? BT will disconnect a line to fix a PSTN fault and won't re-jumper the line for BB until we report it....
      Not to my knowledge nope. The only thing that's been changed on the line is Sky Talk has been added (or rather we've moved to Sky Talk from BT Together). Could this have caused the problem? If so, do I contact BT or Sky for a resolution? I've already contacted Sky and their technical support was very unhelpful as I said - the person I spoke to had no idea what he was talking about.

Do you work for Sky IAmNotTheEnemy? Ever heard of a problem like this before? I'm starting to think the move from BT phone to Sky phone might have caused it...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK so after much headaches and phone calls to Technical Support, going through a number of options and procedures, including a "tone test" (failed), the ticket is now with the "provisions" department. The way I understood it the line basically needs to be disconnected then reconnected, just as it would if I was connecting to them as a new customer, and they tell me it could take up to 21 days!!

That's a bloody long wait. Anyone know any way I can hurry this up some how? I've already told them this is starting to affect my sales on eBay. Without a connection I can't access eBay, can't sell my products = one less source of income!