Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1st post...ranting already :-~

This is a discussion on 1st post...ranting already :-~ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; okay, with an attenuation of 35db, you should be able to get a sync speed of 8-12mb, so you are ...

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 1st post...ranting already :-~

okay, with an attenuation of 35db, you should be able to get a sync speed of 8-12mb, so you are synching at the bottom of that range.

Sky may have decided to put up on g.dmt as opposed to adsl2+ as your line was showing errors.

You could try getting Tier 3 to put you on adls2+ and see if you can get a higher STABLE speed, but you may also find that 8Mb is the highest stable speed you can get.

The higher the speed, potentially the less stable your connection will be.

If you don't really need the extra couple of Mb in DL speed and only need 416 UL speed and don't need unlimited dl';s, then you are probabley best asking to be moved to the mid package and therefore 5pm.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cube623 View Post
      hmm with a attenuation reading of 35dB you should be getting 14.5MB? Am I right?

I'd get on the phone and say why your not on ADSL2+ I'd call now as you bypass the Indian call centers

edit: dang acoolwelshbloke beat me to it lol (btw nice name )
      nope. 35db = 8mb to 12mb.

MrGrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidderminster
      Broadband ISP: Not sure ;(
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help ppl, I`ll just see how to get in touch with tier 3 and see what they say...keep your fingers crossed

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

About to bust a blood vessel: been through tier 1, was told I`d be passed to tier 2 and instead got passed onto sky-moving-house-dept who passed me onto tech support India, who didn`t understand a word I said!!!!

Trying again...

Exchange:
      Thanks

use the webform route and save the hassel of phoning.

as i say, you may find all your struggles are in vein (vane??) as 8Mb is the best you can get for your line conditions.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just got off the phone to (un)tech(nical) support who informed me the max I can have is 8 Mbps. Wouldn`t even explore the G.DMT/ADSL2+ settings. Wanted to go through the `it`s your computer, delete the cookies` route. So basically I am paying twice as much for the same speeds I was getting anyway. I am going to explore my right to cancel now as the service and support is abysmal.

God, I wish I could have Cable in my new house....the ba****ds!!!! At least you get exactly what you pay for.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well you've missed the point completely.

Max gives you UP TO 16Mb (your line suggests that 8Mb is the most suitable for you and hence you are on G.DMT). You are not paying double for the same, you are paying double for double the upload speed and also unlimited downloads.

Some simple investigation before hand would have shown that going for
      Max based on an increased dl speed only was always going to be dodgy.

Sky just cant win can they. If they put customers on the theorectical top speed, then they would be flooded with complaints about unstable connections. It would be irresponsible of a company to put you on a speed that they knew may lead to an unstable connection.

As I say, from your circumstances, MID is the best package for you unless you want the higher ul speed and unlimitied downloads.

Sky can't control how far you live from teh exchange and therefore the max speed you can actually get.

Sounds to me that Sky are acting in your best interests of not moving you to ADSL2+.

As for your last comment, every ISP will face the same problem as Sky with regards to the max 'stable' speed they can offer you as they all use the ADSL protocols. Can't blame sky for that one i'm afraid.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

defo need to get to tier 3, as them and only them can set the line up. I'd recommend calling now, but its getting past tier 1 which is the hard part

as for why ur not on ADSL2+ from that start - seems no connection is these days as it causes more problems than its worth from i can gather. I think they set everyone on g.dmt/8MB to get it stable then we raise as and when needed - rubbish i know, but it has cut the number of issues we get for silly things down a lot!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

yep as Saturday has explained many times, ADSL2+ is only worth it if you live close enough to the exchange, otherwise G.DMT (and a max of 8Mb) is better for the customer.

I agree that you are borderline and pushing more borderline to ADSL2+ than G.DMT, but borderline none the less.

I went through exactly the same as you and eventually forced Sky to put me on ADSL2+, but I now use G.DMT after using mognuts util to manually chnage me down as G.DMT and a cap of 8Mb was far more stable than ADSL2+. I still get a far better speed than plusnet and at less than half the cost, so I;m happy with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12