Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

When is your provider not your provider ?

This is a discussion on When is your provider not your provider ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have spent the best part of 3 days being bounced between the Sky tech support, Sky provisioning and BT ...

whatty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When is your provider not your provider ?

I have spent the best part of 3 days being bounced between the Sky tech support, Sky provisioning and BT - and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience or can help. Basically Sky are saying they can't help me as I'm not a customer, even though I've been on since Sept '06 !

Here's the background:
      I switched to Sky broadband from BT back in September 2006. I had a hiccup with a wrong MAC code to transfer from BT originally but that was quickly resolved.
      I've been *reasonably* happy with the service ever since - consistently get 4-6Mb connection, although more recently my router has needed fairly frequent reboots.

Last Thursday night, at exactly midnight the connection dropped and I have been unable to get a connection since. My PC is cabled directly to the router, so it's not a wireless issue.
      Looking at the router it can see an ADSL connection but Sky isn't giving me an IP address.

That's when the real fun started - called the helpdesk on Friday and they said it was a problem that needed to be escalated to Tier 3. So far so good.

No-one called me on Saturday so I called again, only to be told that they couldn't help me as I wasn't a Sky broadband customer. I insisted I had a little white netgear router with a sky logo and a fully working Sky e-mail account, but essentially they said that wasn't possible, as they have no record of ever transfering the service from BT. They had records of the original bad MAC code but nothing since.

They put me on hold and rang through to BT who they claimed said that the line was held by a different provider. I since know that's not possible, since the BT Wholesale group who deal with broadband aren't in on Saturdays. The person from Sky claimed it was possible another provider had "hijacked" the line (and has been providing me with free broadband ever since - I didn't realise Robin Hood was alive and well!).

I called BT and they confirmed that the line was transferred to Sky last September and even gave me a circuit code which Sky should be able to recognise.

Every time I called sky back they insisted they couldn't help as I wasn't a subscriber and refused to look up the circuit id. They said I should order Sky broadband and then they'd be more than willing to help me with my queries.

However, the sky provisioning team tell me I have to cancel with my previous provider before they can do an install, since they can see that there is Broadband on my line (YES - because you guys are providing it...).

BT can't do anything because it's not their broadband to remove...

Eventually I got hold of a helpful Irish chap from the Derry call centre who took it up with the provisioning department and is *supposedly* working with the "Tag" team to remove the broadband tag from my line and then I can order the service (...again...).

Is it me or is this the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard ?

Whatty

2. Advertisement
      Cube623 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pelsall (CMPEL)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: When is your provider not your provider ?

Quote Originally Posted by whatty View Post
      I have spent the best part of 3 days being bounced between the Sky tech support, Sky provisioning and BT - and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience or can help. Basically Sky are saying they can't help me as I'm not a customer, even though I've been on since Sept '06 !

Here's the background:
      I switched to Sky broadband from BT back in September 2006. I had a hiccup with a wrong MAC code to transfer from BT originally but that was quickly resolved.
      I've been *reasonably* happy with the service ever since - consistently get 4-6Mb connection, although more recently my router has needed fairly frequent reboots.

Last Thursday night, at exactly midnight the connection dropped and I have been unable to get a connection since. My PC is cabled directly to the router, so it's not a wireless issue.
      Looking at the router it can see an ADSL connection but Sky isn't giving me an IP address.

That's when the real fun started - called the helpdesk on Friday and they said it was a problem that needed to be escalated to Tier 3. So far so good.

No-one called me on Saturday so I called again, only to be told that they couldn't help me as I wasn't a Sky broadband customer. I insisted I had a little white netgear router with a sky logo and a fully working Sky e-mail account, but essentially they said that wasn't possible, as they have no record of ever transfering the service from BT. They had records of the original bad MAC code but nothing since.

They put me on hold and rang through to BT who they claimed said that the line was held by a different provider. I since know that's not possible, since the BT Wholesale group who deal with broadband aren't in on Saturdays. The person from Sky claimed it was possible another provider had "hijacked" the line (and has been providing me with free broadband ever since - I didn't realise Robin Hood was alive and well!).

I called BT and they confirmed that the line was transferred to Sky last September and even gave me a circuit code which Sky should be able to recognise.

Every time I called sky back they insisted they couldn't help as I wasn't a subscriber and refused to look up the circuit id. They said I should order Sky broadband and then they'd be more than willing to help me with my queries.

However, the sky provisioning team tell me I have to cancel with my previous provider before they can do an install, since they can see that there is Broadband on my line (YES - because you guys are providing it...).

BT can't do anything because it's not their broadband to remove...

Eventually I got hold of a helpful Irish chap from the Derry call centre who took it up with the provisioning department and is *supposedly* working with the "Tag" team to remove the broadband tag from my line and then I can order the service (...again...).

Is it me or is this the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard ?

Whatty
      unfortunatly I had a simular saga to this when I moved home and I was trying to reinstate my Sky connection (the only difference was it was BT's fault not Sky's).

The previous owner of the house was on BT Broadband so Sky told me to ring BT for a MAC code and to remove their tag off the line (BR said it would take a week). The week passed and...nothing so I then called Sky to see what was happening. Sky said that BT hadn't removed the tag. I called BT who said that they had . So here I was in the middle with both organizations saying the opposite to each other!

Then one day (I will admit) I got a bit "angry" whilst calling BT and their reponse all of a sudden changed from "We've removed the tag" to "We'll investigate further" and then lo and behold 4 days later the tag is properly removed and Sky were able to give me a net connection.

So if all else fails...get angry lol (it worked for me )
      Cannot Understand Basic English 623

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

BT should be able to tell you who the tag on the line is, or whether or not it is Sky (Easynet). Do you have TalkTalk by chance? If so, I'd give them a call as recently they've been taking ownership of lines without the knowledge of the EU/Sky and providing their own BB down it!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Strangely I am with Talk Talk, but gave them a call and they claim it's not them providing BB.
      BT confirmed line was Sky (Easynet), but getting Sky to accept that has been the challenge - you almost want to conference them all in together and get them to talk to each other.

A bit of extra info - My router MAC address starts 00-14-6C. Apparently SKY say all of their MAC address begins 00-14-8 (or something), so I wonder if I was just unlucky and something at Sky has performed some routine clean up that resulted in the line being cancelled. I had suggested they just send me a new box with what they consider to be a valid Sky MAC address, but that would be far too simple, and they "can't" because I'm not a customer according to their (obviously wrong) records.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Wouldn't believe the router MAC address bit, mine isn't and i bet a lot others arent either!
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

thats because u log in using the mac address - so long as that is on the system you can use whatever router u want!

old macs started 00184 and 00146, newer ones are completely different so wouldn't be a problem with that. As for TalkTalk, its only come customers who've found their line has been taken over without consent - you'e a 'lucky' i guess
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just wondering who you spoke to about this - I'm fairly sure it was one of my colleagues (on Saturday) who certainly did check with BT (who confirmed it was not a Sky/easynet tag) who are in on Saturdays - all the systems we have show you are not with Sky, so the advisors are not just fobbing you off

(reference for saturday opening: here)
      Last edited by TSx; 17-07-07 at 03:05 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The person on Saturday did indeed say they spoke to BT. However, apparently all BT can do on Saturday's is confirm that there is an LLU provider who has taken the line - the guys who can tell you who aren't in at the weekend, but I have since spoken with them on Monday and sure enough they have confirmed it's Sky / Easynet and have even provided me with circuit details etc.

I eventually managed to come across a really helpful Irish chap from the Derry office who persuaded the provisioning guys that it was a Sky connection and Sky have now contacted BT to take off the tag from the line and get it re-provisioned. Interestingly I am not being sent a new router, 'cos somewhere in the Sky system it know's I've already got one !! So I've effectively had to cancel a circuit that used to work and get it reprovisioned just so Sky's internal systems now recognise me as a customer. I'm keeping my old sky e-mail address as well (further proof I was a valid customer all along).

I won't of course count my chickens until they've hatched and I've seen a working broadband connection again.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

..another wasted 9 days. Rang up to see how my re-order was going, only to be told there was a problem as there were still tags on my line. Nice of them to call and tell me - of course it isn't Sky's policy to be proactive, rather wait for the poor frustrated client to ring back on the premium rate number.

The guy I spoke with today (who if it all goes well will get a special praise on the letter to the complaints department), looked behind the original order back in September and was able to tell me it appeared it had triggered a line to be provisioned without triggering a successful install and hence customer information about myself.

He has assured me tags are being removed over the next 7 days and then re-connected a couple of days later. I will now ring every day for status to stay on top of this.

I'm really toying with going back to the much more expensive BT service, but the weak side of me wants to give Sky just one last chance.

Whatty

P.S. Got Sky HD yesterday and am pleased with that, although relocating the old Sky+ box to my bedroom may have been a mistake - took about an extra half hour to nod off with the fan noise going in the background, even though it was on standby - might yank the power cable out tonight.