Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No support fm tech support

This is a discussion on No support fm tech support within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My mother-in-law is having connections probs with her sky connect package. She brought the laptop to me and I checked ...

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No support fm tech support

My mother-in-law is having connections probs with her sky connect package. She brought the laptop to me and I checked with my sky max connection (ethernet/wireless) and it connected straight away, so I think that rules out the computer. But here is the rub. When she contacted sky with her prob, support talked her through the usual fault checks. When they asked her what was running in her systray, she said, LAN connection, clock, etc. But when she mentioned AVG antivirus, they refused to go any further. The stated that they would not proceed with the support, until she had removed AVG from the system and installed the AVsoftware from the cd. She is understandably furious at this, (nothing scarier than a furious mother in law). What gives, anyone else come across this, have I missed something in the small print.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: No support fm tech support

I can only guess that as McAfee comes on the CD they would only support this software on her PC, crazy if true.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

correct, we offer no support if it is ur anti-virus that i the issue...

having said that, did u get an error code from when u went into the router admin page (if u went in at all)?

Thanks

Its not the AV that is the issue, as it has been tested on my connection just fine. I set up her connection and AV software, apart fm the username/password her router settings are also the same as mine. So, as I know for sure that the AV is not the prob (relayed on to T/S), why then did T/S not help any further.

IAmNotTheEnemy said:
      "having said that, did u get an error code from when u went into the router admin page (if u went in at all)?"

And yes, (sucking on an egg), when logging into the router, even after several resets she is getting the error code 300. The connection has been fine for several weeks, then this happens.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

error 300 is no ip being assigned to the router (which im sure ur aware of). chances are its an exchange issue or a stale session (where a router, be it urs or another user) is blocking an ip address being assigned to u. if its a session issue then only tier 3 can sort it out

if its an exchange issue then the ticket will have been closed already as tickets for an known exchange issue shouldn't be there. Once service is restored then a reboot of the router would get IP back.

did tier 1 do a tone test at any point with you? have you recently migrated from another service?

Thanks

Thanx for the reply, T/S did not do a tone test and this is their very first foray in to broadband, so no previous connections on it (same house for 32yrs). I just dont see why she should have to remove AVG just to get continued support.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

they shouldnt have stopped troubleshooting at that stage. What should have been said is that Sky cannot support this product, and that they should refer to their manual for assistance with it. They should not have been told to remove AVG, as we have no right to do so. just cos we provide a years free Mcafee does not mean you absolutely have to use it. You can use whatever program you want. After that, they should have continued t/s with you, even if you are using AVG