Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky Tech Support Phone Number

This is a discussion on Sky Tech Support Phone Number within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by firefox834 I have just come to the conclusion..this forum is as useful as an ashtray on a ...

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Tech Support Phone Number

Quote Originally Posted by firefox834 View Post
      I have just come to the conclusion..this forum is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike
      i would pick this forum over a call to sky any day

2. Advertisement
      loopyleo1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky Tech Support Phone Number

fed up with people moaning about 0870 numbers!! If you can't afford to call this number . . then can you really afford to have sky??? get a grip. . much worse things in this world to stress and moan about . . bloody lucky we get the sky services!!! . . rant over ) x

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

A bit late are you not? The original post is 3 years old, 0870 numbers are no longer used by Sky and calls to support are free with your Sky Talk freetime.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyleo1981 View Post
      fed up with people moaning about 0870 numbers!! If you can't afford to call this number . . then can you really afford to have sky??? get a grip. . much worse things in this world to stress and moan about . . bloody lucky we get the sky services!!! . . rant over ) x
      To be totally fair it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to call them for free to sort out a problem with the service.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Davidz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

What's the best way to check your local exchange regarding problems?

Rang Sky tech support after connection dropped to almost nothing, nothing wrong with the line, syc at 3mb/s - quick search (by them) revealed no outages but my service has been up and down all day?

I kinda suspect the heavy rain (only joking, bit like leaves on the track for trains although my Sky TV has the wobbles during storms)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Rain can impact it (I kid you not here) if your telephone lines are overhead on poles, can even impact it if underground if you get water intrusion in the equipment. If there was an issue at the exchange they would have told you, gets the call ended nice and quick and you don't call back which will impact the agents resolution score on the call.
      Are you on ethernet or wireless and is the router dropping sync or are you losing sync to the router?

Thanks

Speed really, the fist sign there's a problem is with my UMA phone which drops straight away -

Using the speed test link my bench mark ping tripled and download speeds dropped to .4mb/s ish

Oddly, while we on the phone I tested it again and it came back with 3.1mb/s, not see this before but then dropped again to nothing?

Just tested it before posting and it's back to normal, 2.7mb/s so seems stable for now -

Cheers,

David

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

It sounds to me like you have a high resistance fault, when the phone is in use, the extra voltage allows the ADSL signal to tarvel across the poor joint better that is until the phone call ends and the signal again drops off.

Is there and noise on the voice line? if so, I would report it to BT as a voice only problem, hopefully when they call you can also explain the BB fault and once the voice side is repaired, the BB should follow suit.

The fault is nearly always either at the pole or in the cabinet and can be caused by either weather or an engineer disturbing the wires by mistake when working in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It sounds to me like you have a high resistance fault, when the phone is in use, the extra voltage allows the ADSL signal to tarvel across the poor joint better that is until the phone call ends and the signal again drops off.

Is there and noise on the voice line? if so, I would report it to BT as a voice only problem, hopefully when they call you can also explain the BB fault and once the voice side is repaired, the BB should follow suit.

The fault is nearly always either at the pole or in the cabinet and can be caused by either weather or an engineer disturbing the wires by mistake when working in it.
      Its been up and down 3/4 times, does sound like someone tinkering at the exchange - currently up and quite good, will monitor it for a bit and if continues will report it as you suggest.

I have some pics of the outside wall cabinet which i'll post on the UMA thread for cable routing, might show up something.

Cheers,

David

Keef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

From what I know the voltage on the line is 50v d.c. (modulated by speech during a call) and rises to 75v a.c only when ringing current is present. I'd think that maintaining a call would have little effect on the quality of the ADSL signal, however the burst of 75v a.c during ringing could well break down a high resistance joint for a few minutes and improve the connection.

Cheers,

Keef.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123