Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ordered today - will update you all on progress.

This is a discussion on Ordered today - will update you all on progress. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @Andrew "I was expecting this letter to have my log in details so I could at least try getting into ...

Andy_G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @Andrew
      "I was expecting this letter to have my log in details so I could at least try getting into my new email account online"

Unfortunately you have to have Sky BB active before you can access any emails.
      I have my login and password for the email portal but as I'm not yet activated I cant do anything with the emails yet.

The password you get is random letters and numbers, quite secure but impossible to remember.
      This you can change when you get online.

2. Advertisement
      Andrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Feltham LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now we're motoring....

Two days ahead of schedule, the router arrived yesterday. Fortunately, my neighbour was able to take the package in. Not a bad turnaround really - only the third day after placing my order.

So anyway, I think it's a nice looking piece of kit (certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the Orange Livebox that stood in its place before). I managed to install it in about five minutes flat. I wasn't sure I'd be able to, but as it didn't ask for a username or password, it was pretty straightforward. Does it use the SSID and Network ID to connect to Sky?

My one complaint is that it forces you to use WPA. Now, I'll admit that I know nothing about security protocols. I just know that the network card I have in my laptop only allows WEP, so I guess a trip to PC World is in order.

I know Sky say they will sell you a wireless adapter, but aren't these USB devices? I want a small disctreet card for the PCI slot on the laptop. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm now going to be offline until Tuesday (unless my line is activated sooner), so if you have any questions for me, I'll answer them then.

Andrew.

SkyLost1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Andrew
      I know discussing firmware issues is against the rules to due it breaking the t&cs etc, but i think this is ok...I havent tried it yet but if you login to the router (by going to 192.168.0.1 in your browser and using admin/sky as the username/password) i think you can change the security settings to wep there.
      Hope that helps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but not knowing the difference between WEP and WPA, what would the impications be?

I don't want to break anything!

I'm more than willing to buy a new wireless card for my laptop. Do Sky sell one? If so, how much is it? As I mentioned before, I don't want a USB wireless thingy for the laptop.

Cheers,

Andrew
      Last edited by Andrew; 15-09-06 at 04:28 PM.

SkyLost1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      theres no point in buying one if yours works ok, you wont break anything by changing the router to wep, all it involves i think is a tick box, then putting in the network keys etc, then setting up the same keys on your pc. will save you 20 or 30 quid anyway

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I did go ahead and buy a new wireless card. It's OK - I like getting new toys, even if I could have lived without it.

I did log into the router and see where I could change the WEP/WPA settings, but I left them alone.

The only other news to report is that I recieved the 2nd letter on Saturday 16th with my email password.

It's now just one day to activation day! The BT tracker still has tomorrow as the date, so hopefully I'll be back online tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You can play with the WEP/WPA settings it will do no harm to the router

Well fingers crossed that it all goes to plan.

Good luck mate
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I got home at lunchtime full of anticipation!

What was waiting for me was a wonder to behold. There were more lights on the router than there were this morning!

I have Sky BB!!!!

I had a look at the router stats and it seemed to say that it had been connected for about three hours, so I guess that I was activated soon afer 10 AM today.

I did a quick speed test and it showed I was getting about 4.8 Mb down and 0.7 up. I'll be more than happy if I get that all of the time. I already knew that my line would only cope with 5.5 Mb, so it's pretty near the max at the mo.

I can't believe how easy this has been.

The only thing now is that I still can't log in to the SkyBB site with the username and password I was sent. Is there a lag between activation and being able to access the site?

Cheers,

Andrew.
      Last edited by Andrew; 20-09-06 at 03:36 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't worry!

I tried logging in again and it worked!

There was even the test email I sent a week ago, so the email account was active back then.

No to try to set up addresses for the wife and daughter!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast