Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got connected and...

This is a discussion on Just got connected and... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My line was activated today but my sky router only seems to connect at 1mbit, sometimes 2 and yet the ...

Ian83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Larklane Liverpool
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Just got connected and...

My line was activated today but my sky router only seems to connect at 1mbit, sometimes 2 and yet the upstream is connecting at a solid 768 kbps. Is this normal? I know it can take a while to sync or whatever but this seems really slow for 16Mb. Sorry if I come across a bit stupid but I have always had cable till I moved to this property.

Any help appreciated.

This info may be helpfull:

Connection Speed 1024 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 27.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.7 db 14.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just got connected and...

Looks like you've been capped. Sky normally do this when they find line problems and looking at your sync/noise margin/attenuation it looks very likely you have a serious line noise issue.

Have a look at the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post for background info then go to the cabling and faceplate help forum where you'll find advice on diagnosing and fixing line problems.

If/when you get this sorted, uncapped you can expect to get a connection sync of ~9000kbps, some 8x what you currently have.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks a lot for the info, I tried in the master socket and got 5Mb, still not very good though. I did get up to 6Mb when I have no telephone or sky box connected. Here's my stats connected to the master socket:

Connection Speed 5792 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 27.0 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 14.0 db

the downstream noise margin seems to fluctuate between 5 and 7 all the time. My socket has 2 connections on it and a TV + sky outlet. Its a relatively new apartment so I doubt its going to be an issue with the socket itself, is there anything else I can try? If I contact sky's support are they going to be of any use?

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

IF you man 2 connections (as in a plugin adapter) then this will mean you have a setup issue....try it with purely a filter going in the socket first with just your router on it and try again, then add the phone. if you need to use the double adapter, this should go on the phone side of the filter and then run TV/phone off this - otherwise the TV isnt gonna be filtered of the BB signal (which'll cause speed drops offs).

what you may also find is having the TV (even though filtered) may still cause issues. Have had to cases lately where removing the TV from the filter made speed go up 3 fold!!!

dunno whats going on there but worth a go...

EDIT: also, you're on an up to 16MB connection - you won't be getting much over 8MB with you're current line (unless after setting it all up correctly you're attenuaton level drops)
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 07-07-07 at 11:35 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your first set of stats suggested you may be capped, mainly because of the high noise margin but also because of your exactly 1meg sync.

Your second set with the test socket showed that you aren't capped (well not at 1meg in any event). This time your noise margin was way too low but still not connecting at the speed your attenuation will support on a relatively noise free line.

Comparing the two sets confirm that you have a bad wiring problem and that your noise margin swing is very high.

The relative newness of your socket/apartment has no real relevance. In fact that multi-socket you describe is probably a large part of the problem.

ADSL technology runs over circuits which were designed for simple voice calls and puts incredibly high demands on the line quality to achieve a half decent result. My recommendation would be to start by fitting an ADSL faceplate to your socket.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks once again for all the info, you have been more than helpfull. I tried lots of different combinations of plugging the tv and phone in different sockets with and whithout micro filters. In the end I gave sky a call and was passed through to an tier 3 guy. After a few checks he advised I was getting lots of errors at the exchange, to fix this we would need to set a lower cap. the final result was being capped at 5632 kbps, this has made the connection a lot more stable but I am a bit gutted about only getting 5.5Mb. I suppose there isnt really much I can do with it and its possibly just because of the distance and the other factors involved. I may give customer services a call and ask if I can swap my billing to the 8mbit price if im capped at 5.5. I will post on here about what happens.

*edit* I forgot to metion, since the cap my pings times have come down from 80ish to 30/40 to most uk based servers eg. bbc.co.uk.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately that's a standard "fix" for Sky. In my opinion it's a bit like you've taken your car to a garage because your brakes aren't working well under heavy load so they adjust it so it can't go faster than 20mph.

The errors aren't being generated at the exchange they are arising somewhere in your wiring. When Sky cap they usually do two things: change the mode to G.DMT (if on ADSL2+) as it is more forgiving of errors and limit the speed to boost the noise margin, again to make the connection more tolerant of errors.

With an attenuation of 43db your connection would never be able to get above 9000kbps even if you had no noise. When you first posted you were connecting at 1024, then 5792 at your master socket. It seems odd that they've capped you at an even higher figure than this - whatever combination of sockets/filters you are currently using must have improved things.

Interesting about your ping improving to that extent. Assuming it's not down to lower errors, they must have also made changes to your interleaving.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Just got connected and...

Hello again guys,
      Since I got home from work last night my router has been connecting at around the 3mb mark, unfortunatly I dont seem to even be able to load a webpage. I managed to get an ftp client to open and downloaded an image from a server I have access to shockingly this only downloaded at 200 bytes a second, not surprising I cant even load a webpage hey. I called sky's tech support and was told they could'nt see any problems or caps in place. After the normal checks they go though to see if you have any spyware etc they said they would have to escalate me to tier 3 again. The wait for tier 3 was over 15 minutes so the guy said to call back at a less busy time. Now I know first impressions may be a virus or spyware. Trust me i dont know that much about adsl but i can 100% guaranty theres nothing using that much bandwith on my computer, I personally dont understand how it can be going so slow if its connecting at 3mb? Im at work atm as I cant get online from home but the only difference I noticed from my last results is my noise margin is now 7 and not 10 on the downstream. I have tried a master reset on the router and have connected with 2 different laptops wired and wireless. Any ideas on this would really be appreciated. My exchange is Larklane in Liverpool.
      Last edited by Ian83; 14-07-07 at 11:46 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bit of an update, I used the "Sky Netgear DG834GT Utility version 0.4" and set my noise margin up to 10, this connected me at 2mb, but it actually runs at 2mb. I wonder what the tier 3 dudes will do when I call them back, surely they wont cap me down to 2mb on the max package?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

we have some customers on max who only get 512KB - purely cause they want the unlimited downloads. I think it comes down to expectations. People see '16MB' and '10' but don't see the 'up to' or bother to read the small print that line quality and distance from exchange play a huge part in the speed you'll achieve. Not saying this is you, but a lot of customers are blinded by the hype...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast