Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Help Please!

This is a discussion on Connection Help Please! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently bought a new pc for my mum. it is running windows vista and sky broadband was recently ...

wheeler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Help Please!

I have recently bought a new pc for my mum. it is running windows vista and sky broadband was recently installed by a sky engineer.
      she is having a problem with her broadband connection. once she has been on the web and logs off, the only way she can get back on is by rebooting the whole system. it just wont let her get back on. sky have been as much use as a glass hammer and in the end have told her that Sky Broadband is not vista compatible, so basically tough!! great service.
      would be really greatful of any suggestions out there?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Help Please!

Maybe enlarge a little on what equipment -- particularly if wireless, which brand of adapter etc.

wheeler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the router is the one that sky installed (white box) not sure what brand and its connected through a cable. not tried anything wireless.

mickporter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Accrington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am having a similar problem, with windows vista 64 bit.

However I can make the system connect using the network icons etc but it is hard work. If I leave the computer for about 20minutes then i find the system connects itself, and all is ok untill the next time I reboot.

I tend to keep my computer switched on permenantly to save all the hasstle.

My experience with sky help was similar to yours..... none exsistant. They seem to take you through the whole process of changing the filters, then reseting the router etc etc. There is absolutly no mileage in trying to get them to shortcut all this, because they get totally confused, and eventually appear to burn out, telling you there is nothing they can do that it is a windows vista problem and they dont support it!! Or sometimes will insist on changing your password??? This they do by letter, which I presume is a delaying tactic, which they use with awkward customers who refuse to keep swapping their filters!!

It is by far best just to agree with them and tell then you have done what they have suggested, till you get nearer a real solution, or to the Windows blaming or find yourself with a new password!!!! I've had four now......

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New password Mmmmm let me think and how do they think you are going to change that when it is embedded in the router firmware! As you say there customer service is a waste of space.
      I think there may be problem with Vista though my brother kept having problems with his wireless connection disappearing. He kept rebooting my router "USUALLY WHEN I WAS USING IT!!! I might add!!! cos the router is in the spare room upstairs. But it never fixed the problem. I'm not sure how he fixed it in the end, I will see if I can find out.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky BB is vista compatible, you dont need the cd to setup it up - just plug the cable in and windows auto-detects the connection. what we need to know is do you have the 'i' light on the router lit up? if so, have you run a 'sky test' from within the router admin pages? if so, what code did it give you? are you running off an extention? answers to these would help a lot