Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Windows XP, service pack 1 and service pack 2. Can't connect to connect.

This is a discussion on Windows XP, service pack 1 and service pack 2. Can't connect to connect. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently taken delivery of the Sky Broadband package, router etc. in order to connect to Sky Broadband Connect. ...

pokerman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Windows XP, service pack 1 and service pack 2. Can't connect to connect.

I have recently taken delivery of the Sky Broadband package, router etc. in order to connect to Sky Broadband Connect. I'm not connected after 2weeks.

Basically the computer I'm trying to use has not been connected to the net for some 4/5 years. SKY are telling me that because of this,with a lack of automatic updates over that time and the fact that I'm running XP with service pack 1, all make my PC uncompatible with the netgear router? I know there is a live connection and feed to the router but keep getting the "can't find/connect to the ISP" message. There must be people running SKY connect through XP and service pack 1 version or are SKY correct??

Does installing/upgrading to service pack 2 work, have other people had this problem, please help.

2. Advertisement
      slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Windows XP, service pack 1 and service pack 2. Can't connect to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by pokerman View Post
      I have recently taken delivery of the Sky Broadband package, router etc. in order to connect to Sky Broadband Connect. I'm not connected after 2weeks.

Basically the computer I'm trying to use has not been connected to the net for some 4/5 years. SKY are telling me that because of this,with a lack of automatic updates over that time and the fact that I'm running XP with service pack 1, all make my PC uncompatible with the netgear router? I know there is a live connection and feed to the router but keep getting the "can't find/connect to the ISP" message. There must be people running SKY connect through XP and service pack 1 version or are SKY correct??

Does installing/upgrading to service pack 2 work, have other people had this problem, please help.
      Sounds ike a pile of crap to me, what an utter stupid statement to make.
      Its the router that does the job of connecting to the internet and the rest is simple networking.
      I would try running the Internet connection wizard and see how you get on.

nottsv6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes mate it happened to me, i downloaded service pack 2 from windows official website,its a 266mb program and its free... once i installed it the internet worked fine... service pack 1 doesnt work with the sky router and some wireless adapters....

nottsv6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

heres the link mate, just click download...
      hope this helps...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can understand the software not working, but who uses that. The rest of it is simple networking, I have a laptop win win98 lite running using the wireless and that is fine.

pokerman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replys everybody. All sorted with SP2 and enjoying being online. However, will be trying to go wireless tonight.......we will see

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The router is completely indifferent to which operating system you are using.

Some wireless adapters may have trouble with SP1 -- but none I've used extensively. I think there is also a theory that WPA doesn't work with SP1 -- but, again, not in my experience.