Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky BB Has Become Slow And Intermittent Since House Move

This is a discussion on Sky BB Has Become Slow And Intermittent Since House Move within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Steve case Your stats for the last hour are OK. But you may find that as the ...

Cube623 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pelsall (CMPEL)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB Has Become Slow And Intermittent Since House Move

Quote Originally Posted by Steve case View Post
      Your stats for the last hour are OK. But you may find that as the night wears on, your noise margin falls, and you start to get errors again. The solution to that, if it happens, is to increase your target noise margin higher than the 7dB default value using the Mognuts utility (I suggest you try about 10 dB if you do it during the noisy period). This will decrease your connection speed a bit, but it should give you a more stable connection.

You then have to find a permanent solution to your wiring problem. You may be able to get away with disconnecting the orange wire as suggested by Koala. If that doesn't work then one solution is to buy an XTE-2005 filtered faceplate from ADSL Nation.

It's also worth bearing in mind what IamNotTheEnemy says. This is outside my experience, but from what I understand, G.DMT/interleaved tends to be more stable than ADSL2+/fast unless you have a brilliant line (which you don't). However Let's see how your connection behaves first.
      well i've been getting faster speeds (download speeds are the same as i got from my old home) but at 10pm exactly I was playing TDU online and then BAM. Connection gone. Since you all mention noise margins alot (meaning that it must mean something important) I checked what it was and it was at 4.8dB. I then rebooted the router and the internet is working but it is very slow (i currently have a noise margin of 6.3dB)

I'll try the utility to set a highter noise margin target, see if that works. But it seems very weird that the past 2 weeks my connection goes pretty much at 10pm (give or take a few minutes) why is that? I mean I would imagine that my road wouldn't be using the net at 10pm (if they are defenatly nothing to big) as I live down a road with alot of elderly people and also I don't live far from the exchange. So why always 10pm? I mean my net is fine at 9:50, it is literatly when the clock strikes 10 my connection goes haywire?

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm looking at my own noise margin right now - 10.35 pm (I've been plotting it with RoutersStats all day). It has been falling steadily since about 9pm. Based on the pattern of the last couple of weeks, I would say it is probably just approaching its lowest point. Unless you happen to be plotting the fall, you may not realise what's happening until your router suddenly loses connection - i.e. it just appears as a sudden event rather than a steadily worsening situation.

I don't think falling noise margin is necessarily anything to do with the houses in your street. From what I've read, it may well be happening in the exchange itself, but I don't know if anybody has evidence to support that.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One added thought. Of course it is possible that in your case you are experiencing a sudden fall in noise margin at 10 pm. I get that happening around 8am although the time does vary quite a bit. This is definitely not due to anything electrical isn my house. I can only guess that it is due to some piece of electrical equiopment in the Hospital , or one of several small factories that lie along the route between my house and the exchange. I suggest you download and run RouterStats, so you can see the pattern of your noise margin.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep 4.8 is too low the threshold for disconnection is about 5 or 6, so try using mognuts to set it higher, dont go mad though cos increasing it will impact your speed, I would set it at 7 or 8 at the worst time of day i.e 9.30 10pm for you and try from there. Increase it slowly until your connection becomes stable.

PS I take it you were still in the test socket when it disconnected and hadn't plugged everything back in?

Cube623 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pelsall (CMPEL)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Yep 4.8 is too low the threshold for disconnection is about 5 or 6, so try using mognuts to set it higher, dont go mad though cos increasing it will impact your speed, I would set it at 7 or 8 at the worst time of day i.e 9.30 10pm for you and try from there. Increase it slowly until your connection becomes stable.

PS I take it you were still in the test socket when it disconnected and hadn't plugged everything back in?
      I'll give the "set a higher noise margin at about 9:30" a go and I'll see what happens.

The only thing near to where I live is a school and a few pubs but it wouldn't be in use that much at 10pm though

And yes when it disconnected last night I was still using the test socket. Have to say even though I still have the disconnecting issue I'm pleased about the extra speed I've got. I've got a 9MB connection and it downloads at about 900 Kb\s whereas before I had a 5MB connection and it downloaded at about 350 Kb\s

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Beware any changes you make will disappear if you reset or power down the router. So once you get the right figure its a case of leave it on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12