Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master Socket

This is a discussion on Master Socket within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Not too sure on this so I thought I would ask here. My master socket is in the kitchen! ...

gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Master Socket

Hi,

Not too sure on this so I thought I would ask here. My master socket is in the kitchen! don't know why...it was like that when we bought the house.

I can get 16meg on it but the extention in my room where the PC is can only get a max speed of 12meg.

My question is can I have a new master BT socket fitted to the PC room and will it get the same speeds as the old master socket? Also is it a costly thing to do?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Master Socket

no you wont, as any extention (hardwired or otherwise) will make connection deteriate

best to either run an ethernet cable to the PC or go wireless (or have BT move the master but no idea on cost)

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Try removing the bell wiring from your extention(s) before you go to any great expense it may improve things a bit, other wise extending the ethernet wiring is probably the best plan.

This may help:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

silvertdci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chorley, Lancashire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Master Socket

Why not remove the master socket from the wall. Put it where you want it. Put a new wire between the original wire and the master socket where you put it.

The main wire at our house comes from the pole to the wall outside then into a plain box were it is joined to another phone wire which then goes into the the master socket.

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silvertdci View Post
      Why not remove the master socket from the wall. Put it where you want it. Put a new wire between the original wire and the master socket where you put it.

The main wire at our house comes from the pole to the wall outside then into a plain box were it is joined to another phone wire which then goes into the the master socket.
      Be aware though: that is against BT T&C!
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

DarT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silvertdci View Post

Think you will find that the master socket/wiring into property is owned by BT and that you can actually get into some trouble from messing around with this actual point.

The extensions and master socket face plate are owned by the house owner and you can modify as you see fit ie removing the bell wire from the circuit/replaceing face plate.

When i removed my bell wire i increased my connection by 80%, so this is well worth a try, and has no impact on phone usage when all extensions are used with filters.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep same here 100% improvement disconnecting bell wire, who would have thought that!! Pin 3 Orange and white is the culprit, remove in all sockets.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The best way to tackle this is first to replace BT's NTE5 faceplate with the NTE-2005 or better still, the XTE-2005 faceplate from ADSL Nation. See this thread for details: ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

Next, either plug your router into the ADSL socket on this faceplate using a short RJ11/RJ11 link cable. You must then run an RJ45/RJ45 twisted pairs patch cable to your pc. If you want to maximise your connection, use wires instead of wireless, it's much faster.
      Another way is to run a CAT5 (twisted pairs) cable from either the front ADSL socket or from the back of the new faceplate (just one pair connected to terminals A and B) to your pc location. At the pc end, wire a little wallbox bearing an RJ11 socket. Plug router into that using a short RJ11/RJ11. To go this way you'll need some RJ45 connectors and a crimper tool (cheap on eBay) as well as the Krone punchdown gadget for the connections (60p from faceplate supplier).
      All that will maintain your maximum sync speed.
      JaX