Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

New noob sky BB needs help.

This is a discussion on New noob sky BB needs help. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, well i still have a problem but i think i'm getting close to sorting it. I have my ...

mark1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: New noob sky BB needs help.

Hi guys, well i still have a problem but i think i'm getting close to sorting it.

I have my hard wired extension removed and the master socket checked, all good, sky have lowered my connection to 4mb and everything works well except my pc.

My xbox 360/ps3 and laptop all stay connected all day long without ever getting disconnected now that my speed has been lowered.

Now here is my problem, if i use my desktop pc i get disconnected after 15 mins, the router locks up and i cant access it, all i can do is reboot the router by powering it down and start all over again.

Now here is the weird thing, sometimes i can use my desktop pc for several hours at a time without a problem, then for no reason the router locks up in intervals of 15 mins (aprox) for hours on end, then starts to work ok, now if i only use my 360/ps3 or laptop it never fails, not since my speed was lowered to 4mb, so i'm sure my line is ok now.

So does anyone have a clue what my pc is doing in 15 min intervals, i have no background tasks, i have turned my virus checker off and i only have xp firewall, is there a chance that i have an intermittent hardware fault, one other thing to mention is i used the Mognuts util to get the log files that i have posted here and i noticed that the info it gives is set at 15 min intervals, is there a connection with that ?.

Hope someone can help, cant think of anything else i can do myself, my knowledge of internet and pc stuff is not very good.

Mark.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Disconnections every 15 minutes is a classic symptom of the UPnP "bug". To fix this log into the router admin pages and turn UPnP off.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, going to try that right away.

Mark.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Disconnections every 15 minutes is a classic symptom of the UPnP "bug". To fix this log into the router admin pages and turn UPnP off.
      Thanks, i have done that now and i'll see what happens in the next few hours, but now i have a new issue, without UPnP i have a NAT issue with my 360/ps3, i need a open NAT on 360 and type 2 NAT on ps3 , now i have moderate on 360 and type 3 on ps3, i read somewhere about opening ports but it may as well been in another language, didn't understand any of it.

Mark.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys, just wanted to update this thread, looks like i'm finally sorted ( fingers crossed ) THANKS Saturday and everyone else that helped me out.

Looks like it was the UPnP bug that Saturday mentioned, i have been connected now for 77 hours for the first time in over 8 weeks, its been a complete nightmare for a novice internet user, ( ME ) but i think i have learned a few things along the way, i now know how to sort out port forward and resolve my NAT issues on my 360 and ps3 and pretty much know my way around the sky router blind folded.

So, thanks again guys, all i need to do now is call sky and see about upping my line speed a bit because dropping it down from 10mb to 4mb didn't make a blind bit of difference to my 15 min cut offs as it was all down to the UPnP bug.

Mark.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16-10-08, 06:27 PM
    2. 19-08-07, 08:54 PM