Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New noob sky BB needs help.

This is a discussion on New noob sky BB needs help. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by mark1000 Hi, Edit... guys, while i appreciate your help on this does anyone have any idea why ...

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: New noob sky BB needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1000 View Post
      Hi,

Edit... guys, while i appreciate your help on this does anyone have any idea why i get dropped at the same time evey day, the connection works perfect all day long till i get to 9.26 pm and then i'm off, is there some sort of automatic operation at the exchange that throws a switch when the network gets busy ( i'm grasping at straws here guys ) i just dont understand why it works all day long then bang 9.26 pm and i'm off.

Mark.
      I believe noise levels increase in the evening and that this can result in cut-offs if you have a low SNR (which you do). Other possibility is that errors build up over time until you clear them with a reset. Others will know more about this but they appear to be kipping!

Edit - just found this on another post and it seemed relevant "Further to my recent errors, by boosting the target noise margin using the mognuts util, I seem to have a much more reliable connection, no evening dropouts"
      Last edited by allen; 05-07-07 at 01:35 AM.

2. Advertisement
      mark1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
      I believe noise levels increase in the evening and that this can result in cut-offs if you have a low SNR (which you do). Other possibility is that errors build up over time until you clear them with a reset. Others will know more about this but they appear to be kipping!

Edit - just found this on another post and it seemed relevant "Further to my recent errors, by boosting the target noise margin using the mognuts util, I seem to have a much more reliable connection, no evening dropouts"
      Hi, do you have a link please.

Mark.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Hi, links to Mognuts utility, and Mosseywells router bouncer are here:

PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats

I also use Routerstats by VR Lowen, very useful for graphing your SNR

Internet Software

Have fun.

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As already mentioned, it is more than likely that you SNR is dropping in the evening due to higher usage in your area.

When the connection is dropped due to the low SNR, your router reconnects with less connection speed in order to raise your SNR.

Higher SNR = Lower Speed

Using mognuts utility to raise your SNR will lower your download speed but should eliminate any further drop-outs in the evening. Artificially raising to an SNR of about 12 should do the trick.

Chris.

Koala5 is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your disconnections are deffo caused by your massive errors on your line, I take it you have no hardwired extensions? have you tried plugging the router in on its own with nothing else connected. Plug in extension leads can be a source of problems. Is your line noisey on voice calls? You can test by picking up the phone and pressing one key to kill the dialing tone then listen for noise, if there is report a noisey line to BT, dont mention broadband just say line is noisey on voise calls. If you are lucky they might fit a new master for free.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi, do you have a link please.

Mark.
      Automatically setting Wireless off or target noise margin?

Using the google search box is a good way to search this site.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
      Automatically setting Wireless off or target noise margin?

Using the google search box is a good way to search this site.
      Sorry, i didn't use the search engine because i don't have a clue what i'm looking for, this is all new to me, i had a 2mb connection with freeserve/wannado/orange which in the 3 years i had it never went down, not even once, so you will have to pardon me but (NOOB) doesn't even come close to describing me, but hay ho thanks for everyones help.

Mark.

Edit..... Sorry guys for the little rant but i cant even come close to describing my frustration in not understanding the jargon.

Mark.
      Last edited by mark1000; 06-07-07 at 05:02 PM. Reason: frustration

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

There is no need to apologise, everybody has to start somewhere, have you got any telephone extensions around the house or is the socket where you are connecting the only one?
      I would again recommend you use the routerstats program I mentioned previously, it gives you a good idea of how your noise margin varies over the day.

PS Its Mognuts Utility that allows you to set a target noise margin, Mossywells automatically reboots your router in the event of a disconnection.
      Last edited by penrhyn; 06-07-07 at 05:11 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      There is no need to apologise, everybody has to start somewhere, have you got any telephone extensions around the house or is the socket where you are connecting the only one?
      I would again recommend you use the routerstats program I mentioned previously, it gives you a good idea of how your noise margin varies over the day.

PS Its Mognuts Utility that allows you to set a target noise margin, Mossywells automatically reboots your router in the event of a disconnection.
      Thanks, i have a master socket in the lounge and a hard wired extension going from that to the bedroom, my router is connected to the master socket in the lounge via the filter with a one piece cable about 6 mtrs long, my master socket is one of the old ones without another socket behind the plate, im going back over the posts to see if i missed anything.

Mark.

Edit... ok, i have dl the router stats prog you mentioned, do i run that and leave it running all day, it asked for a password, don't know it, will it change anything in my router ( worried noob ? ).

Mark.
      Last edited by mark1000; 06-07-07 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added info

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sorry, i didn't use the search engine because i don't have a clue what i'm looking for, this is all new to me, i had a 2mb connection with freeserve/wannado/orange which in the 3 years i had it never went down, not even once, so you will have to pardon me but (NOOB) doesn't even come close to describing me, but hay ho thanks for everyones help.

Mark.

Edit..... Sorry guys for the little rant but i cant even come close to describing my frustration in not understanding the jargon.

Mark.
      Sorry if my suggestion about the google box appeared critical - I had intended to offer a helpful hint and I'm sorry if it sounded unhelpful in any way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16-10-08, 06:27 PM
    2. 19-08-07, 08:54 PM