Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Max less than 1mb

This is a discussion on Sky Max less than 1mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, this is my first post and I am not at all technical so please be gentle with me. My ...

hedgehogrose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Totton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Max less than 1mb

Hi, this is my first post and I am not at all technical so please be gentle with me.

My Sky 16mg broadband is less than 1mb and it is driving me mad.

I spoke to Sky Technical last week and was told that the most my line could manage is 4mb but the best I could ever expect was 1.5mb but when I do a speed test the result is about 0.9mb.

I live about 2.2kms from the exchange so I don't expect the full 16mb but I thought I should get more than 1mb.

Sky Tech also said that because I was getting such slow speeds that I should 'downgrade' from Max to Base but when I asked Sky customer services to do this they said no.

Is there anything I can do or I am stuck with this dreadfully slow broadband?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Max less than 1mb

We need a bit more info before we can help.

First off post your router stats (see first part of the first sticky in my signature) then tell us whether you are wired or wireless, then post your speedtest results from here.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I hope this is right:-

Downstream Speed: 1120kbps
      Upstream Speed: 416 kbps
      Downstream Attenuation: 49.0db
      Upstream Attenuation: 31.5db
      Noise Margin Up: 19.8db
      Noise Margin Down: 14.0 db

Speed Test Results:

Down: 879 kbps
      Up: 354 kbps

I have a wireless connection. I got my husband to look at the BT socket last night and I have no wires connected to any of the conectors on the back of the faceplate - is this the problem?

As I said I am not at all technical so this is all a mystery to me.

Thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your router stats suggest that your connection is heavily capped (the clue is your high noise margin). Sky usually do this when they find line problems. The capping gives a more reliable (but slower) connection.

Your speedtest results are what you'd expect for your router sync.

With regard to your faceplate, not having anything connected to the connectors on the back just means you have no hard wired phone extensions - which for ADSL is generally a good thing.

This makes me wonder though if you are using a splitter plugged into your phone socket for other phones. They are generally poor quality, intended for voice only and give all sorts of problems with ADSL. Just as bad are plug in type phone extension leads. Are you using one for your router?

In summary, Sky probably found or thought they found a line problem. Such problems are generally down to home phone wiring. Please describe how you have your router and any other phone equipment connected to your master socket. Also, can you plug just your router with a microfilter into the test socket which you'll find hidden behind the faceplate that your husband removed and post the stats you get with that connection.

Lastly, your router stats show that if you fix any line noise present and get uncapped by Sky then your new connection speed will probably be ~6250kbps. This is pretty much the maximum you'll get (5x what you currently get) due to your estimated distance from the exchange.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

We have tried plugging the sky router into the test socket and the noise margin went up to 31.3 db the other stats stayed the same.

Our Master Socket is by our front door and we have a plug in extension leading to a socket in the front room where we have our sky plus plugged in and another extension which goes from there to where our phone is plugged in. The router is plugged in at the same place as our phone. We have tried the router plugged in at the master socket but we have found it worked better plugged in with the phone. However, when we moved in there were 2 BT master sockets by our front door, we only ever had one working. The second one is now an NTL socket which was used for the brief time we had an NTL phone line.

I appreciate all your help.

Many thanks.

Joanne.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok - well the big jump in noise margin shows very clearly that the problem lies with your phone wiring. Note that the noise margin jumped rather than your sync speed because you are capped.

I'm afraid that if you daisy chain your phone connections and then put a router at the end of that then your connection will be terrible, as yours is. The router in particular needs as short a connection as possible to the master socket, preferably via the supplied RJ11 cable and never via a plug in extension. Phone/digiboxes can be on an extension but preferably this would be a quality extension hardwired to the master socket.

My recommendation is that you buy a filtered replacement faceplate for your master socket and fit it (a 10 minute 15 DIY job). Then hardwire an extension for your phone/digibox to the filtered terminals on the new faceplate. The router will ideally be plugged straight into the faceplate but if necessary a new dedicated hardwired extension can be connected to the unfiltered terminals on the new faceplate.

If you do this then I'm confident your connection quality will improve considerably and you will be able to get Sky to uncap you.