Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Before I subscribe...

This is a discussion on Before I subscribe... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had no idea where to post this but I'm sure it can be moved if it's in the wrong ...

lkmills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Before I subscribe...

I had no idea where to post this but I'm sure it can be moved if it's in the wrong place. Anyway.

I'm probably going to be subscribing to Max (upgrading from Orange dial-up Anytime) but I have a few questions. I have searched for them so sorry if they have already been asked.

1. I need to give Orange 30 days notice to cancel the existing subscription, so does that mean I have to wait 30 days and then contact Sky to let them know I want to subscribe?

2. My computer isn't wireless enabled so what will I need that doesn't come with the subscription?

3. Is the self install easy to do (baring in mind I am fairly competent when it comes to computers)?

4. On the Sky website it says the following: "It seems your phone line needs some extra work, and may take a little longer to get broadband activated. But donít worry Ė when you order Sky Broadband the work needed will be completed by Sky."

What will this involve and will it cost anything extra?

5. Is the £10 per month a permanent cost and not just for the first three months (as is the case with some companies).

That's all I can think of for now.

Oh and yes, I am a Sky TV subscriber (if you hadn't already guessed).

Thanks in advance. Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Before I subscribe...

-£10 is permanent
      -if u wanna go wireless, you'll need a wireless adapter for the pc (sold seperately)
      -install is easy, yes
      -as for 4, no idea what that means!!
      -do you know if ur line can take the faster speeds? what are you getting now?

khile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCLE
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

4, sounds like you have never had broadband on your line so needs to be setup just because your exchange is does not mean you line is, just means that sky have to get bt to enable your line for broadband

good luck

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You don't have to go wifi, if you don't want to. The router has 4 ethernet ports. Also, i get a faster connection using ethernet rather than wireless.
      Last edited by dflour69; 04-07-07 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typos

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

1. You need to contact Orange (0870 010 2462) and request a MAC Code - this is notification of your intent to migrate and you'll have to give the code to Sky when you sign up BUT, keep an eye on things as you will also have to get in touch with Orange again to close your account officially. You can ask for a MAC Code and not proceed with the migration, they have a 30 day "life span" and expire thereafter.
      2. Although you don't have to use wireless, it can make life much easier. A PCI wireless adaptor or a USB one is all you should need - if you've an up to date laptop, it more than likely has one built in.
      3. VERY easy, plug in the router, connect it to your main PC - which will need to have an Ethernet card installed - remove any of your Orange connection stuff. Don't bother with the Sky install CD and definitely don't bother installing the "free" anti-virus software.
      4. It may be throwing up that message because you already have an existing broadband connection with Orange.
      5. Yes - allegedly.
      6. Oh.....