Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sudden change in connection relaibility

This is a discussion on Sudden change in connection relaibility within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I too am on the basic wireless package. My issues started when i had to take the free ...

The Malster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sudden change in connection relaibility

Hi guys,

I too am on the basic wireless package. My issues started when i had to take the free McAfee off after only 2 months cos it REALLY slowed my computer down and eventually told me i had to register or something to be able to scan my PC. After taking it off i then thought the reason my connection disconnects ITSELF EVERY 10 MINUTES or less (no joke) was because i had a virus. Did a virus scan with AVG and it found nothing. Does anyone know how to stop SKY BB disconnecting itself. It keeps coming up in the bottom right hand corner that "Unable To Connect To Preferred Wireless Network" and i have to reconnect it myself. I pay Sky 60 a month with BB and TV and the Customer Services department keep telling me its the Micro Filters.....

Its getting rather tedious and boring now...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Regards

p.s. it disconnected itself twice whilst writing this message

2. Advertisement
      penry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

new boy here.

had bt for 14 months with not a problem at all. however the download monthly limit made me look elsewhere. Got sky broadband and no bother for 4 months. About 4 weeks ago i started loosing the connection regularly then back on then loosing minutes apart. Phone sky and they said because i used a phone extension line that was the problem and i had to put the modem downstairs and use wireless adapter on the pc. i explained i had this set up for 18 months with no trouble. point blank had to put the modem downstairs. Now i might as well have dial up. Even that drops out from time to time. I have heard that sky update your tv plus box and sometimes that breaks them and wondered if they do the same to modems.
      I have just joined and will read past ideas bu i just had to post this as i'm sick of sky and the way they don't listen to what you tell them. 18 months no bother the way it was.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It is deja vu for me as I have had almost 5 hours problem free running but as soon as it gets to 10pm the disconnections start again. I manage to get connected very briefly before being disconnected again.

What is going on ?

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      It is deja vu for me as I have had almost 5 hours problem free running but as soon as it gets to 10pm the disconnections start again. I manage to get connected very briefly before being disconnected again.

What is going on ?
      You have probably been asked this before, but have you tried plugging your router into your test socket (the one behind the faceplate of your master socket) and then posting your full stats after browsing the internet for an hour or so at least. (There are things you can do to improve your connection stability, but it's important first to determine whether your extension wiring is a major part of your problem).
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Steve case: Even after a long period of a certain set up that works. is it possible suddenly that it's all down to extension wiring.( I have bought a new extension wire and result was the same.)
      Cheers penry

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penry View Post
      Steve case: Even after a long period of a certain set up that works. is it possible suddenly that it's all down to extension wiring.( I have bought a new extension wire and result was the same.)
      Cheers penry
      Yes it's certainly possible. I'm sure many people may have a connection that seems to "work fine" over a period of time, but in reality is running very close to the bone in terms of noise margin. All it then needs is for the noise on the line to increase by a couple of dB (which it can do for several reasons), and suddenly the connection is plagued by errors and disconnections. If noise is the cause of the trouble then there are two steps people need to take to get round the problem:-

1. Ensure that any noise associated with extension wiring is eliminated, or at least reduced to the extent that it is not making a significant contribution. A quick test that is usually sufficient to establish this, is to (a) reboot the router with it plugged in as normal and, when it has finished negotiating a connection, note the connection speed and noise margin. Then immediately afterwards plug the router into the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket and do the same. If the connection speed or the noise margin has gone up significantly then the chances are you have a wiring issue.

2. If, even after sorting out any wiring issues, there are still problems, then it is necessary to force the router to use a higher noise margin when negotiating a connection. This is done using the Mognuts utility. I use a value of 14 dB (compared with the default value of 7dB). This reduces my connection speed by about 15%, but it means I have a stable connection.

When you say you "bought a new extension wire" what exactly do you mean? How is it fitted? Is it one of those Woolworths/Tesco-type telephone extensions that just plugs into the socket?
      Useful Links

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Argos actually but it does say for modem purposes. i am a bit lost with the db and stuff(decibel?) As i say i'm new and will look at the other posts as i get time but any fast tracking would be appreciated. i am quite surprised at the noise level going up theory so like i say any help very appreciated.know nothing about how to do tests and find the answers so again any help deffinately appreciated. my master socket is downstairs so i would have to that test wireless i take it.

Cheers for your help penry.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penry View Post
      Argos actually but it does say for modem purposes. i am a bit lost with the db and stuff(decibel?) As i say i'm new and will look at the other posts as i get time but any fast tracking would be appreciated. i am quite surprised at the noise level going up theory so like i say any help very appreciated.know nothing about how to do tests and find the answers so again any help deffinately appreciated. my master socket is downstairs so i would have to that test wireless i take it.

Cheers for your help penry.
      I think that when they say "modem" they mean dial-up rather than broadband. In my experience that kind of extension lead utilises a flat type of cable which is likely to introduce noise, especially if it is longer than a few metres. For the purposes of the second test, you either need to move your PC to be near your router & master socket, or you need to go wireless. If your PC is a desk-top type, is not wireless-enabled, and is a lot of hassle to move, consider borrowing a laptop - just for the purposes of the test. You can then use the ethernet cable.

I suggest you also look at these helpful threads:-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html
      PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats
      Useful Links

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Steve. Had a quick look at the links and will look into it when i have a bit of time. (saturday probs) like i say i am no computer expert so a quick question before i move everything around again. Can you buy long ethernet cables.(15m) if you can does distance matter. you're either laughing now or my problem is solved as i'd just put it under carpet. Unless it's 1000 per meter.
      cheers penry

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Something like This

For what you want to do, distance is no problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast