Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Here's a 1st...

This is a discussion on Here's a 1st... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, seeing as I sit here and advise (or try to) people on their BB for Sky I thought I ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Here's a 1st...

Right, seeing as I sit here and advise (or try to) people on their BB for Sky I thought I may as well ask the knowledgable peeps and see if they can shed some light on my situation.

Now, I've not got Sky BB (not enabled) and not on Connect although I am on BT Broadband. It's just a question as to anyone who knows the best place to ring as I'm pretty sure my line isn't getting it's full capacity.

I've a crappy £20 router which runs in the master NTR-5 socket and happily sits in the office routing connection to my Dad's PC, my PC and a port in my Sister's room (for when she's around) - no wireless/extentions in use.

Was logged into the router and have a downstream of 1.5mbps/upstream the usual 448kbps. The funny thing is the noise margin is never below 20 for up or down so obviously my line can take more. So do I have to: -

-Get in touch with BT?
      -Try in the test socket (not done yet but don't think it'd work cause of the bedding-in period)?
      -Just grin a bear it?

Just looking for advice really...

Thanks in advance!!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Here's a 1st...

1. what BB package are you on? up to 2Mb or ADSLMax
      2. what is the crappy router capable of (ie is it only capable of up to 1.5Mb)?
      3. as i'm sure you're aware..... post your full router stats, if you dont know how to get them for your crappy router, then take a look at: ::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

now, i'm not 100% sure what package I'm on. We upgraded from a 1MB connection recently as we were told by BT that we can get 2.5MB on the line so I'm assuming I'm on ADSLMax. As for stats, from what i gather from the various screens that there are no errors at all on the line (which i could obviously be wrong on). It's a Conexant adsl 4-port router so i'm guessing it's adsl and its non-wireless.

those are 2 pics from my admin pages which have relevent info on them - the link to extracting stats didnt have my make on it...

mdod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are quite correct; connecting to the test socket wonít bring an immediate increase in download speed. But if your router will synchronizes reliably at a speed higher than 1536k, it will prove that some of the problems are with your home phone wiring.

You do have some errors; but they are very low as a percentage of traffic. Your router is showing G.dmt modulation; so both it and your line support up to 8Mb. More significantly, the router has lost sync 42 times in 17 days. Considering your low sync speed, that suggests a serious problem.

Connect to the test socket, and then go to this site. Get the sync speed, download speed, and the line IP profile. This is a very slow; it could take several minuets to respond. Youíll need the logon name your router uses to connect to BT.

Test Result

Please post the results.

Looking on the bright side; if connecting to the test socket brings no improvement, you do have one considerable advantage over those of us on Sky Connect. Your ISP canít just disown the problem and say it is all BTís fault.