Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise Margins

This is a discussion on Noise Margins within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When i initally had broadband max, i was getting about 14.5mb, i recently got reinstated after a suspension (compromised). I ...

midsummer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise Margins

When i initally had broadband max, i was getting about 14.5mb, i recently got reinstated after a suspension (compromised). I also fitted a filtered faceplate as ive been told it gives a better reception.

These are my current figures:

Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4672 kbps 480 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 20.5 db
      Noise Margin 25.0 db 14.0 db

My noise margin used to be anywhere between 6 and 8, why has it gone so high now??? Sky are telling me that 16db should be the limit.

Can i contact BT to get that reduced or should i let Sky deal with BT themselves?

I am currently waiting for a tier 3 phonecall.

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noise Margins

You're probably getting confused between noise, and noise margin. I suggest you read Saturday's excellent article which covers this subject.

Normally the router negotiates a connection speed based on a target noise margin of about 7dB (that's why the margin will typically be 6-8 db just after connection. The reason many people have problems is that due to excessive noise on the line, the router has to negotiate a lower speed in order to achieve a margin of 7dB. However in your case the problem is the opposite way round. The noise margin is much higher than required target of 7dB but the router has failed to negotiate the higher connection speed that ought to be possible. Based on the limited stats you provided, it would appear that your line has been capped. (Sky will be able to confirm whether this is the case). If so, then this was possibly due to very high noise on your line before you fitted your filtered faceplate.
      Last edited by Steve case; 30-06-07 at 10:05 AM.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)