Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to fix your Sky Broadband and email

This is a discussion on How to fix your Sky Broadband and email within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys..... spent 3 hours on the phone to sky earlier today, trying to get my broadband to work!!..... they ...

jpowell79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How to fix your Sky Broadband and email

Hi guys..... spent 3 hours on the phone to sky earlier today, trying to get my broadband to work!!..... they are bloody rubbish

The problem was that I could go to a website via the ip address, but not via the named web address.

If your not pc internet savvy, this basically means that if I open up my web browser and try to go to BBC - homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet It won't connect, but if I open the browser and type in 212.58.224.131 it WILL work.

This is a problem with a sky DNS server..... basically a coputer which maps www addresses to IP numbers.

So in the example above, one of the entries on the DNS server would be:

BBC - homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet = 212.58.224.131

Now your sky router automatically points to Sky's DNS server, and if this goes down, you'll have these problems.

To resolve this issue (and in some cases actually speed up your internet connection, you should use an alternative DNS server. I recommend using the free DNS servers at OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster DNS

Their two DNS servers are:

primary 208.67.222.222
      secondary 208.67.222.222

To use these DNS servers, do the following:

go to START-> Control Panel -> Network Connections

You will have a Local Area Connection (LAN) which is used if you plug your pc/laptop directly into the router, and a Wireless connection if you are wireless.

1) right-click on the connection you use, and go to properties.
      2) In the box which says "this conneciton uses the following items" scroll down until you see 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and then open by double-clicking.
      3) once opened, at the bottom you'll see an option for 'Use the following DNS server addresses' and change these values to the DNS server addresses shown above.

Click Ok and ok again and come out. You should now be directing to a more reliable DNS server!

-----------

If you are having email problems with Outlook or Outlook express, it is most likely an isssue with the smtp.sky.com setting in email accounts.

To fix this, I'd recommend changing the setting of smtp.sky.com to the word "localhost" and then downloading and installing the following free SMTP program Free SMTP Server

The "localhost" option will now point to this program, and you should be able to send emails again :-)

Hope this helps guys! Feel free to show your appreciation by visiting my web link and registering at URL Removed

cheers

Jeff
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 02-03-08 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Thanks for the headsup, but we do not allow referral links as per our rules.

2. Advertisement
      Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How to fix your Sky Broadband and email

Just to correct on the DNS servers for OpenDNS they Are:

Primary: 208.67.222.222
      Secondary: 208.67.220.220

Last edited by Topkidben; 02-03-08 at 12:51 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

had you had me id've told you to use OpenDNS from the start...

as for email, Sky can only advise on the Google system - if you want to use your own addresses then you either need to sign up for the SkyUser smtp service or get another one (as you said)...

Sky can only suggest the processes that are in place and aren't really meant to deviate from said processes...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you had taken the trouble to read through the forum before you posted you would have found that all the points you made are more than adequately covered. Or was it just a ploy to entice people to your site

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Seeing as this was an old thread from last year that has been bumped back up I would say that perhaps nothing everything might have been covered back then and if it was it probably was a free promotion thread.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Whoops! I did not notice it had been 'bumped', neither did 'Enemy either by the look of it. I wonder why TKB brought it back from the dead? Bored, with nothing to do, maybe

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.