Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Want to join but.....

This is a discussion on Want to join but..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, 1st post so please dont flame me if i've made a mistake. At the moment I'm with VM and ...

ferritt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Want to join but.....

Hi,

1st post so please dont flame me if i've made a mistake. At the moment I'm with VM and have a 4mb connection and standard phone package costing around 42 p/m on average. I'm really interested in the sky 26 offer (+ 11 for BT line). Now the thing is I should be moving to a new build property December time so thats when I'll want to move from VM to sky but I'm slightly worried about the type of broadband service I'll get from sky (if any so I've been told by afew people). Now I cant check the actual distance from the exchange of the new property as it's not actually built yet. I check to the nearest road that exists and it about 1.5km (straight line). At the moment I am a big downloader but if I was to get the 8mb from + the saving compared to VM I would be able to contro, that to the 40gb limit. But will I actualy get 8mb? I would imagine that because it's a new house the BT line should be able to handle that and more but once tthe new line is conected to the original BT line on existing road then what. Now i've checked the local exchange (earl shilton, Leicstershire) via samknows and the exchange has been "unbundled"?? by be* broadband. I'm assuming that this is good as be* has 24mb speeds? What I dont wanna do is get sky and find that I'venot got a good connection and be stuck with it as the only reason I'm choosing sky is on the basis that everything should be fine. So what steps can I do to avoid getting into the situation or can andbody share some light on if I would get the actual *mb or near to that speed?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Want to join but.....

I am 739 metres from the exchange on a 8MB line and get speeds at just over 7MB if it helps.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You get an 8 day cooling off period so if your not happy then you can cancel it. I am about 1.2 miles from the exchange and I get 7.2mb on speedtest. Estate is about 50 years old so I guess alot of the wiring is pretty old as well!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      You get an 8 day cooling off period so if your not happy then you can cancel it. I am about 1.2 miles from the exchange and I get 7.2mb on speedtest. Estate is about 50 years old so I guess alot of the wiring is pretty old as well!
      cheers for that. I think I'm just gonna have to take the plunge. Will it be more difficult as I use macs. At themoment I have real speed issues when using them wirelessly?

cheers

mdod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have an IBook G4 with an AirPort card. The wireless connection to the Sky router is 100% reliable. Download speeds are identical to my PC which is connected by Ethernet. Both WEP and WPA security encryption work quickly, and without problems.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdod View Post
      I have an IBook G4 with an AirPort card. The wireless connection to the Sky router is 100% reliable. Download speeds are identical to my PC which is connected by Ethernet. Both WEP and WPA security encryption work quickly, and without problems.
      nice one! Got real problem with my wireless connecton at the minute, but only seems to effect my mac and note my other xp machine. At least a mac user has a something good to say about sky when used on a mac.

cheers

Mr KP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wembley
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm set to get activated tommorow on Sky mid, im also on the 26 package, if my Sky connection is crap can I keep my Sky TV and cancel Sky BB paying 21.