Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setting up a network

This is a discussion on Setting up a network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK - I'll admit it. I'm totally bamboozled. I have a wireless laptop running Vista and a wired desktop running ...

ORM
      ORM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Setting up a network

OK - I'll admit it. I'm totally bamboozled.

I have a wireless laptop running Vista and a wired desktop running ME.

The laptop was connected first, originally wired then wireless. I added the desktop earlier this evening via ethernet (and it'll stay that way). Both are fully connected and working beautifully with Broadband.

I can't seem to get the two computers to recognise each other but I'll be perfectly honest and say that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, despite trawling forums, using help guides and network wizards.

Can anyone advise how I should be setting up the network (simpler explanations would be good). If I have played around with Network settings on both PC's do I need to restore them to their pre played around state ? Oh God - it seemed such a good idea at the time.

I have a feeling I'll just end up switchiing USB connections over when I want to print something

Another 2am bedtime - any help gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Setting up a network

Doubtless others will give you better advice (especially if they are using Vista), but here goes, based on XP.

I think I would start with both computers wired to the router (try wireless once the network shows signs of working). Then look at file sharing in Windows and enable all folders you want to share. Turn off the Windows firewall on both computers.

Go to Control Panel in both machines and note down the Computer Name (often a long string of alphanumerics created by Windows).

In My Computer click My Network Places and then click Add a Network Place and just keep bashing away until it works, bearing in mind that connections take a little time to think about it while handshaking etc.

As I said to a friend when I setting up a similar file sharing system on her computers -- this ain't science, it's Windows.
      Last edited by fihart; 28-06-07 at 09:43 AM.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

On Vista, On the Network and Sharing Center

What is your LAN settings?
      Is Network Discovery & File Sharing on?

Also, Make sure BOTH PC's are on the same Work Group.

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry for being so computer illiterate - you're going to have to bear with me on that one.

OK here's what I've done this morning.

I've confirmed that both computers have the same Workgroup name (I'd already named the computers and I assume two different names is correct)

I have confirmed that Windows firewall is switched off on the laptop - the desktop is running on ME and I don't believe there is a windows firewall on ME.

I've confirmed LAN settings on the laptop are OK - I'm not sure if there is a Network discovery prompt on ME but File Sharing is definitely on.

One point to note - I have Norton Internet 2005 on the desktop (can't have any later as they won't support ME) and Mcafee Security Centre 2007 on the laptop.

I've tried Network troubleshooting on ME but afaic I'm set up correctly.

Any suggestions ?

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmmmmmmm I can now see the other computer here on the laptop -

but it says Windows cannot access \\CATHY (the name given to the computer not the Workgroup) together with the message "0x80070035. The network path was not found." I can't see the laptop on the ME desktop.

I feel some progress has been made and no doubt I've done something fundamentally wrong - so next steps please ?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Turn off Norton until you've got things working.

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's interesting - I turned off Norton temporarily to retrieve emails on the desktop (having changed account properties from dial up to LAN- emails now send and receive OK)

I went back into My Network on the ME desktop and it now recognises the other computer - though when I click on that computer it comes up with

\\Tony-PC\c is not accessible Access is denied - with or without Norton switched on

Norton is currently switched back on - awaiting further advice please. I've clearly not got some settings configured correctly.

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now we are getting somewhere !!!! - I disabled both Norton on the desktop and Mcafee on laptop and hey presto I can see and open files on the desktop from laptop.

Still having issues looking at laptop from desktop but I'll try reboots - switching firewalls on/off and reporting back

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right - I am on the point of bashing this new laptop with a rather large hammer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With both firewalls off I can see the network on each computer.

When I try to open files on the laptop it asks for a username and password. EXACTLY what user name and password is it asking for because I think I've tried everycombination of username and password I've ever used.

JEEEEZ - 6 hours of frustration for what is probably something so simple for other people - HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !

Xorro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Hine Hub 3
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Could you not buy a USB print server box. Plug the printer into it, then plug the server into the hub. This will allow the printer to be accessible via an IP address, meaning you can print to it from your laptop without the PC being switched on.

This is what I am thinking of doing.

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | Print Server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast