Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

router appears to reboot itself to a slower speed?

This is a discussion on router appears to reboot itself to a slower speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been switched from (connect 5.00) to mid broadband approx two weeks ago. The best speed i can get ...

gary g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Runcorn Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

router appears to reboot itself to a slower speed?

I have been switched from (connect 5.00) to mid broadband approx two weeks ago. The best speed i can get is 4500kbps, the distance from the exchange is the problem as i have done all the tests suggested. I am happy at the connection speed of approx 4000kbps. My problem seems to be the router automatically resets itself to a random figure say 1600 etc. at various times during the day/night. when i log into 192.168.0.1 and reset the router, the speed normally comes back to approx 3800/3900kbps.

My questions are........... why does it do it, and how can i stop it from happening.

4 people use the computer, does changing profiles cause the router to configure itself to each profile ??

These are my stats

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3936 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.1 13.0
      Attn(dB): 57.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 18.8 2.6
      Max(Kbps): 4512 1024
      Rate (Kbps): 3936 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 124(0) 14
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 124 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.1280 17.0666
      L: 1000 120
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 4329884 4329882
      SFErr: 740 46
      RS: 294432182 18401998
      RSCorr: 40060977 2380
      RSUnCorr: 14280 0

HEC: 598 32
      OCD: 13 16
      LCD: 0 2
      Total Cells: 683283015 0
      Data Cells: 1521227 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 757 0
      SES: 466 0
      UAS: 22 0
      Total time = 20 hours 27 min 22 sec
      SF = 4329884
      CRC = 740
      LOS = 570
      LOF = 0
      ES = 757
      Latest 1 day time = 20 hours 27 min 22 sec
      SF = 4329884
      CRC = 740
      LOS = 570
      LOF = 0
      ES = 757
      Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 22 sec
      SF = 43697
      CRC = 19
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 6
      LOF = 0
      ES = 6
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 8
      LOF = 0
      ES = 10
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 7
      LOF = 0
      ES = 7
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 13
      LOS = 27
      LOF = 0
      ES = 31
      Last edited by gary g; 27-06-07 at 10:55 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: router appears to reboot itself to a slower speed?

Have a read of this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

Nothing to do with profiles on the PC.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have read that link and understand all of it. i don't think the line is dropping below 6.5db. When will sky be sorting it out so it does it automatically. I'm beginning to think it's a matter of "you only get the service if you pay the price. I was with pipex before, great customer service, great connection......................high price 23.00. ......................Sky 17 for connect, long wait for mid connection 5.00, then router keeps dropping down to slow speed. I guess you only get what you pay for.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

If your router normally syncs at ~4000kbps but suddenly reboots and syncs at significantly less than this then this strongly indicates that the noise margin is dropping well below an acceptable level i.e. it drops to a level where a disconnection occurs forcing a resync to a new lower speed to allow the noise margin to achieve the minimum router default of 6.9db.

If shortly after this occurs you are able to reboot to a higher sync speed then this must mean that the noise margin has recovered back to the earlier level. Rapid noise margin fluctuations like this means you probably have a line fault giving random, intermittent impulse noise.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      If your router normally syncs at ~4000kbps but suddenly reboots and syncs at significantly less than this then this strongly indicates that the noise margin is dropping well below an acceptable level i.e. it drops to a level where a disconnection occurs forcing a resync to a new lower speed to allow the noise margin to achieve the minimum router default of 6.9db.

If shortly after this occurs you are able to reboot to a higher sync speed then this must mean that the noise margin has recovered back to the earlier level. Rapid noise margin fluctuations like this means you probably have a line fault giving random, intermittent impulse noise.
      I have monitored my noise margin, it does drop below the level you quote, sometimes it disconnects other times it recovers to let me carry on. I have tried rebooting to get the best speed/noise ratio but still fluctuating?

If the line fault is intermittant a line test is a waste of time?? I just ring BT for a test don't i?

Thanks for your input Saturday

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'm making the figures up because I don't have a reference but my guess is that at least 90% of line noise problems affecting people's ADSL service are generated by the home phone wiring. So if less than 10% is down to the BT line then that's not the place to start (especially as BT will charge you if called out to home phone wiring problems).

Again a guess but I'd say you may have a poor or loose connection somewhere - you've just got to find it.

By and large, best practice is to keep all cabling as short as possible and never connect the router via an extension (especially the plug in kind) and never use a line doubler/splitter anywhere in your phone wiring. Start with that as guidelines.

If you still have a problem then check the connections in each socket and disconnect any phone extension wires that you don't need. Replace any very old or apparently damaged wiring (staples can crush the wire and cause problems). Then consider fitting a replacement filtered faceplate to your master socket, assuming you have an NTE5. If you can't do that then disconnect the ring wire in your master socket. If any of the preceding doesn't make sense take a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum.

Lastly, noise will always fluctuate during the day even on problem free lines. Use Mognuts to reset your noise margin rather than the rebooting method - then you can always set it high enough so that the fluctuations never cause disconnections. There's a speed hit though so don't overdo it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      I'm making the figures up because I don't have a reference but my guess is that at least 90% of line noise problems affecting people's ADSL service are generated by the home phone wiring. So if less than 10% is down to the BT line then that's not the place to start (especially as BT will charge you if called out to home phone wiring problems).

Again a guess but I'd say you may have a poor or loose connection somewhere - you've just got to find it.

By and large, best practice is to keep all cabling as short as possible and never connect the router via an extension (especially the plug in kind) and never use a line doubler/splitter anywhere in your phone wiring. Start with that as guidelines.

If you still have a problem then check the connections in each socket and disconnect any phone extension wires that you don't need. Replace any very old or apparently damaged wiring (staples can crush the wire and cause problems). Then consider fitting a replacement filtered faceplate to your master socket, assuming you have an NTE5. If you can't do that then disconnect the ring wire in your master socket. If any of the preceding doesn't make sense take a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum.

Lastly, noise will always fluctuate during the day even on problem free lines. Use Mognuts to reset your noise margin rather than the rebooting method - then you can always set it high enough so that the fluctuations never cause disconnections. There's a speed hit though so don't overdo it.
      Have been "up" now for 24 hrs synced at 3500kpbs. I have already removed the "ring" wire, this improved the speed from 1600 approx too 3500/4000kpbs. Will see how it goes before installing a new faceplate and running a wire through to the room where my computer is.

Thanks again Saturday for your input.