Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

30 minutes of no connection at night?

This is a discussion on 30 minutes of no connection at night? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Based on my own experience, you will need to set the target noise margin rather higher than the 7dB default ...

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 30 minutes of no connection at night?

Based on my own experience, you will need to set the target noise margin rather higher than the 7dB default value - I suggest starting with 14 dB. This will drop your speed by about 1 Mbps, but it should give you enough headroom to stay clear of any evening noise problems. If it works at 14 dB, you could then start reducing it gradually to improve your speed slightly. It's also worth running the RouterStats utility from early evening right through until after midnight to see what's happening to your noise margin. It is free, works well, and provides you with both a log and a graph of noise margin. However I would set the sample interval to something lower than the 1-minute default value (say 20 seconds).
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

2. Advertisement
      gregh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well I power off my router over night, this morning it's back up at 7MB, with an SNR of 6.3! Should I still try setting it to 7 or 7.5???

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7296 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.3 12.0
      Attn(dB): 47.0 28.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 7904 1024
      Rate (Kbps): 7296 768

Total time = 53 min 9 sec
      SF = 186020
      CRC = 23
      LOS = 4
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would start with 7db and increase in increments of 2db if the first change dosen't help. Increasing it too much will have a drastic effect on your speed.
      The threshold is 6db once it drops below that then disconnections will occur. I suspect that your noise margin is just dropping into that area, then when it reconnects it finds the low noise margin and syncs at a reduced speed.
      Shame really I was convinced it was the CRC errors, Oh well at least you have got rid of another problem that might have lurked in the background and bit you in the bum later!
      Last edited by Koala5; 28-06-07 at 10:35 AM.

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When you find the target noise margin that gives you the best compromise between speed and connection stability, you should leave your router switched on continuously. Otherwise it will re-set to the 7 dB default value whenever you switch it on and you will have to re-set your target value every time. I believe the vast majority of people keep their router switched on 24/7. I have my target noise margin set at 14 dB, and am able to sync at about 6.7 Mbps. I could probably get away with a lower target, and get over 7 Mbps, but having seen my noise margin dip by as much as 7dB on some evenings, I would prefer to set it to a level that I know is going to keep me well clear of trouble. The extra half Mb of speed isn't that important to me.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

gregh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I used to leave it on 24x7, but then it's just sucking up electricity, and the Panorama program on WiFi waves not being good for kids has made me power it off at night, as it's upstairs in an airing cupboard, near the kids bedrooms.

regards,

greg

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

like you i set it to 14 and get around 6.8-8db then sometimes i have to set it around 12db in the evenings to get the same again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123