Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Setting up a Laptop and Desktop together

This is a discussion on Setting up a Laptop and Desktop together within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ORM, With regards to changing wireless security settings, I assume you are referring to the WPA Network key found on ...

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Setting up a Laptop and Desktop together

ORM,

With regards to changing wireless security settings, I assume you are referring to the WPA Network key found on the bottom of your router?

The easiest way to change this would be from your wired desktop connection, as any wireless settings you change will not have ANY effect on a wired connection.

If you were to change your network encryption key from a wireless connection as soon as it changed you would find yourself shunted from the network.

As for the PCI Ethernet card, the one you have selected seems fine. Looking on eBay you could get around 10 (incl. delivery) however, considering you are paying only 10 more for a netgear product, you will get considerably more support if you have any issues with that than if you were to buy a card from an unknown brand.

EDIT: With regards to configuring IP addresses to each device connected to your router, this isn't necessary although you may rarely experience problems if you do not do this, such as devices being assigned the same internal IP (resulting in one being kicked off the network). There is no harm in doing it and it will do you more good than bad.

Hope this helps, any more issues post here.

Chris.
      Last edited by chrisypea; 26-06-07 at 01:27 AM.

2. Advertisement
      ORM
      ORM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chris,

Thanks a lot for this.

Just to be clear on security issues I'm talking about a number of things - eg changing Router passwords, SSIDs etc. Judging by your comments I'd still need to do all this via desktop when connected or just cable connect the laptop to do it.

I guess I'm running risks having no wireless security measures in place yet (ex firewalls, spam, antivirus etc) but I'll live with that for another day.

By the way - is there an easy way to tell whether someone is using my bandwith at all ?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks

Yes, changing all of your wireless settings is best done from a wired connection.

As for protection such as firewalls etc, there are a number of free products out there that can be used, however, it might be easier just to pay for an all-in-one type package. I am going to purchase Zonealarm Internet Security Suite shortly (as they have just released a vista compatible version).

If you did want to go down the free route, here are some products that might be of use to you:

Anti-Virus:
      AVG Free Anti-Virus

Firewall:
      Zonealarm Free Firewall

Anti-Spyware:
      Spybot Search & Destroy
      Ad-Aware Free Edition

Bandwith stealing is generally only associated with unsecured wireless networks as people can connect immediately with no security measures. Cracking WPA (which is what your Sky router is set to by default) is a long process that can take days and also requires a certain ability/knowledge with computers. WEP cracking is somewhat easier but by no means can everybody do it.

If you did happen to have a van parked outside your house for a few days with a transfer on the side saying "crackerz-r-us" then to check, you would go to your router settings page and select the "attached devices" screen. This would show you all of the devices currently using your network. Sometimes I find the names do not come up properly for all of the devices and sometimes you will get "UNKNOWN" but just count the number of devices there. If there are more than you have connected, change your security settings and that should be the end of it.

Any further questions and I'm here

Chris.

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chris, you really are a star - I'll show this thread to the Mrs who is convinced I've ruined her ability to drain the bank account with ebay etc in safety until I hook up the desktop again. Come to think of it I might not tell her anything

On security I'm trialling Mcafee for the first time ever on the laptop - it's not instrusive at all and the only issue I have is Spamkiller not working with Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail was just a complete waste of time for me and, judging by Microsoft forums, millions of others. I'm trying to find out (elsewhere) whether Mcafee have plans to include WLM Spamkiller support in an update.

On the desktop my Norton subscription has just run out. I know millions of people hate it and it certainly slowed my computer down and could be a real pain in the backside sometimes but I had the parental control set up perfectly so I might just go for it again. Also got Spybot and Adaware set up on it as well as a couple of other freebies recommended by the Tech Support Guy forum on the one time I managed to get infested.

Thanks

We have norton on our downstairs PC and I know you will have heard it before but stay away from it!!!

All in all I suppose it does deliver the goods but at the heavy price that your computer will slow down to a snail's pace!

Zonealarm are doing an offer on their internet security suite right now...

You can get the software for use on 3 different computers for just about 50p more than for 1, I think about 25-30. Thats a years worth of updates.

Think about it before you go rushing back to norton...

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers again :-) - will look at Zonealarm with a clear head in the morning

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just discovered Zone Alarm doesn't support ME and neither does Microsoft anymore - Hmmmm, great - looks like I need to change OS on the desktop

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

they still support 2000 which is basically what ME is

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've reinstalled Norton and kept with ME for the time being - there's only so much expense I can afford - I'll try to get hold of a copy of XP from somewhere and either upgrade or clean install - I've found a couple of fantastic websites describing both options fully from a pre, during and post process viewpoint.

I've just installed a PCI/Ethernet port on the laptop and (bugger me with a large broom) the desktop is now installing drivers. Some time within the next 30 minutes I'm expecting a fully networked set up both connecting. I'm just going out to light a lucky tab while it finishes off.

ORM
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yay !!!!!!!! I finally have Broadband working on both - took longer than I'd hoped and I'm not exactly certain how I finally achieved it - a combo of Windows Help, and trial and error with LAN settings but I knew it was connected immediately with successful PINGS.

Oh well - onto trying to get networking running properly - I think another 2am bedtime is on the cards !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast