Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

MacAfee or not

This is a discussion on MacAfee or not within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Wheelie But you may be interested in the site Comodo as far as I know all there ...

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      But you may be interested in the site Comodo as far as I know all there software is free
      Yes i looked at these people as well (as i use them for code signing), but i was put off by tales of crashing pc's and the inability to uninstall the product.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks dingdong

I have never tried there software I just remember seeing it mentioned somewhere so bookmarked there site as I do will lots of sites I think might help others
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i just use free avg and run online scans using trend and semantic every so ofetn to make sure nothings been missed. to date avg has not let anything through that these other products have detected so depite any reviews i'm happy with it

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep thats the important thing at the end of the day and anyone who is happy with what they now use should stick with it.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

SteCole77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Irlam - MRIRL
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      Yes i looked at these people as well (as i use them for code signing), but i was put off by tales of crashing pc's and the inability to uninstall the product.
      Oh no lol, i've just installed the Comodo Firewall.

I'll report back how i get on with it.

2 days ago i installed the McAfee... bing... pls reboot... bing.. pls reboot.... on and on.. so tiring.

My system load was at 290mb as well, in task manager. With Comodo its almost 140mb less... although i need to install an A/V software.

sparky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: MacAfee or not

hi i am new to this forum so please treat me gently

i am setting my dads pc up for the internet and i need antivirus however he has just got online with sky broadband which has mcfee free with it but when i try to install mcfee it comes up that we still have a norton file still on the computer from a previous installation have done searches and uninstalled norton and symantic and it still cannot find this other norton file could it be in the registry ? if so i do not know how to edit this i am confident if someone can give me directions to do so or someone can help me eradicate this file . the broadband works fine and is using the router firewall with wpa security and windows xp sp1 hope someone can help or could i se another antivirus
      Last edited by sparky; 20-03-07 at 11:09 AM.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Give this ago:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Personally I wouldn't use McFee, there are plenty of good alternative ones out there that don't use a lot of system rescorces. I use Avast as it is free, it has never let me down.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've been using McAffee now since I installed sky, I hade previously been using Norton Internet Security 2006. Both Norton and McAffee are serious resouce hogs. It's ok if you don't mind turning the pc on, go off to make a cuppa, see if postie has been, mow the lawn and wash the car, by then it should have started. Apart from that it works fine for me (saying that I think I am starting to lose patience with it now, it just slows everything dooown sooo muuuchh).

The only trouble is, I spent so long getting all my preferences how I want them, especially for some sites that I have had to set up as trusted because neither McAffee or IE seem to like them, that I am loathe to have to go through it again with another anti-virus/firewall.

I think the best advice is, if your happy with your current set up, don't install McAffee or anything else.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

lavillegour is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If one of you knowlegible guys out there can help it would be much appreciated.
      I have recently joined sky broadband and now wish to install the FREE (1 year) Macafee protection. However the disc supplied by sky has an out of date version which won't work with VISTA so I need to download the latest macafee from (somewhere) on the SKY website but WHERE ?

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

McAfee download link workaround 01.11.07

Previous to Sky.com - Home being changed, the steps for Sky Email & Tools customers to download McAfee were as follows.
      Click on the Security Centre link located at the bottom of your screen
      Click on the Download now link
      Click on the appropriate link for your computer (e.g PC or Mac)
      Enter your log in details where prompted
      Follow the instructions listed on screen to download and install the appropriate package for your computer
      However, on following these steps now, after carrying out step 4 the page reverts back to Sky.com - Home.
      On further investigation, I have found that it can still be downloaded by carrying out the following steps.
      Click on the Centre link located at the bottom of your screen
      Click on the Protecting you Online link which is located in the Related Links box
      Click on the appropriate link for your computer (e.g PC or Mac)
      Enter your log in details where prompted
      Follow the instructions listed on screen to download and install the appropriate package for your computer
      I have tested these settings and can confirm they work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast