Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ideas sought on how to optimise a no-MAC switch-over

This is a discussion on Ideas sought on how to optimise a no-MAC switch-over within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I started a thread ( http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showt...ted=1#post5096 ) about a possible switch from UK Online. The clear message seems to be ...

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ideas sought on how to optimise a no-MAC switch-over

I started a thread (http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showt...ted=1#post5096) about a possible switch from UK Online. The clear message seems to be that, because UK Online is a LLU unbundle provider, that I can't use a MAC code to get a clean cut-over to Sky Broadband and that I'll need to completely cancel my UK Online account before signing up to Sky (yes, I know UK Online is part of Sky. Just don't get me started. Grrrr....).

Anyhow, accepting the above as fact, I'm now wondering how I can make this transition as painless as possible. It's pretty crucial for me because I work from home and even my business phone lines are VOIP (i.e. over my broadband connection) so it's all a great big pain.

Right now I'm paying 24.99 a month for an 8Mb connection. One option I'm considering is to sign up with my cable company for a 4MB service that will be 12.50 for the first 3 months and then 25/month thereafter. I can time my UK Online disconnection for a few days after cable switchon so that is seamless, but then I'm locked into cable for 12 months before I can do a similar transition to Sky but given that I need seamless access, maybe this is worth it.

Well, having said the above, maybe I could tollerate a 2 week outage becaue I do have some dial-up ISP accounts that would at least allow me to get email and I do more of my work by email that phone so phone cutoff isn't a total disaster. Can anyone think of any other schemes where I could be fairly confident of keeping my outage-time to less than 2 weeks?

- Julian
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-09-06 at 11:42 AM.

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Julian please register then we can keep track of this thread and who posts would be very confusing if another non registered user replied.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Julian

maybe I could tollerate a 2 week outage becaue I do have some dial-up ISP accounts that would at least allow me to get email and I do more of my work by email that phone so phone cutoff isn't a total disaster.
      That would probably be the safest bet without spending more money. Dial up til its sorted :-)

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

SatDish: Julian please register then we can keep track of this thread and who posts would be very confusing if another non registered user replied.

Done. This is me, the original poster who started this thread.

NewsReadeRThat would probably be the safest bet without spending more money. Dial up til its sorted :-)

It would certainly be the easiest and cheapest, not to mention the nostalgia factor of going back to dialup for a while. What else should I do during this time? Dig out all my 90's music to play? Watch lots of 90's re-runs on TV while I'm not online? I definitely need to make sure that my modem's speaker is permanently enabled so that I can hear all the noises going down the line, just to get the full effect. I'll also need to see if I can find some online text-based games to play and maybe even some old-style character-only bulletin boards.

Seriously though, even with the above, dial-up is going to drive me crazy for anything over a couple of weeks, maybe three at tops, so I'd like to make sure I understand the timings and issues of going this route.

Am I correct in assuming that Sky won't even begin processing my order until my UK Online is physically disconnected, i.e. they can enter my phone number into the UK broadband database and see my number showing as having no service? I'm hoping that maybe it's more sophisticated than that and, so long as they can see a cancellation order with a definite end date on my line then they'll start proceedings. I fear my first statement is more likely to be true than my second, but I'd be grateful if anyone could clarify this for me.

Just playing with the numbers, I do have other options I could consider that wouldn't increase my monthly costs but would mean that it delays the full cost savings i could get from Sky for a year. Both options involve going the cable route. I could sign up for the slowest Telewest service (2Mb at 14.99/month) and time the cable installation so that it goes in a few days before my UK Online cutoff. I could then order Sky Max as soon as all UK Online services are cleared off my phone number so, once Sky Max comes online, my monthly costs are back to my UK Online days, i.e. 10 for Sky Max plus 14.99 for cable (= 24.99 = my previous UK Online fees) but I have gone up from a 8Mb service to a 16 Mb service (subject to line quality, distance from exchange, etc).

I'm pretty undecided at the moment but I think that if a straight UK Online to Sky switchover is only likely to have me in dialup-land for 2-3 weeks then I'll probably bite the bullet and go that way, but if it's more like 4-6 weeks of dialup then I'm leaning towards using cable to cushion the transition.

- Julian

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm using dialup at the moment while I'm transferred over from AOL. Yes, it's slow as hell and it drives you crazy. I wasn't expecting to be connected until October, but now I'm sitting here waiting for the 20th. Still, has given me a chance to catch up on all the movies/tv shows I've downloaded over the years that I never got round to watching.

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks
      RE:- your business phone lines are VOIP (i.e. over your broadband connection)

Be carefull what you say to Sky. The Sky service is for NON BUSINESS USE only. If you mention business, it is possible they won't sign you up.
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Fox McCloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEMI
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Have you got a second phone line ?
      You could always get virgin.net
      Youd only have to spend 50 in cancelling it, instead of 10 months worth....

keith_thfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      deleted - double post - my apologies.
      Last edited by keith_thfc; 11-09-06 at 05:29 PM.

keith_thfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Julian

I've succesfully done exactly what you are trying to do so hopefully this will help.

In your other post you said that UK Online could give you a LLU Mac code upon request. If you can get this then the rest should be plain sailing.

I moved from freedom2surf LLU to be* LLU by obtaining a LLU Mac code and moving to Zen Internet for 1 month (their standard contract period).

I then left Zen after 1 month and requested a standard IP Stream migration code which I know SKY would accept. (The peak time speeds on my BT exchange were dire so Zen fully understood that was a genuine reason for not staying any longer).

Below is a link to the Zen 25/month up to 8 meg 20 GB product. You will see that "one month minimum contract" is one of the features specifically mentioned. To migrate in to Zen free of charge you would need to call Zen Sales up (0845 058 9000) and explain that you have a LLU Mac code. (they cannot process these online as they have to be done manually). If you are unsure about anything just give them a buzz and they should be able to talk you through the process. It took about 10 days for my LLU>Zen migration to work but I was one of the first on the trial (at the start of the year) so it *should* be a little quicker now.

http://www.zenbroadband.com/athome.aspx?page=455

If you go direct from from UKO LLU>SKY then SKY won't do anything until your line is clear. Others who have moved direct from LLU>LLU have said the entire process involves 2 weeks downtime so this is what you should expect if you take this route.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.
      Last edited by keith_thfc; 11-09-06 at 05:47 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wow Keith! Thank you, that's a killer suggestion. Looks like that's the way to go.

I considered using cable and cancelling in the cool-off period (which I haven't yet researched) but I have a problem with jerking people around, even if it is a big corporation (I know, it is only a company, but it's just the way I think) so it didn't sit well with my concience. I'm still not 100% comfortable with using Zen in this way (no implied criticism of you here Keith, it's something in me that's irrational about these things) but Zen do very explicitly advertise the 1 month contract as a benefit of their service so it's not unreasonable for people to take them up on this so although I said I'm not 100% comfortable, I think it's fair to say that I'm at least 95% comfortable with doing this.

The only hassle is regarding the ADSL router to use in the interim Zen period. Luckily for me this won't be a problem because I have a friend with an unused Linksys ADSL router so I can borrow that for the interim. Then again, I cancelled my cable service about 2 years ago when I moved to UK Online and I'm still waiting for them to pick up their router so maybe I'll get to keep the UK Online one for a while, or is it in fact my property anyway?

- Julian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast