Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection problems

This is a discussion on Connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; RIGHT! I AM TOTALLY FED UP! Everyday for the past WEEK my internet has been screwing me over. Every FIVE ...

shazmurasame is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained

RIGHT! I AM TOTALLY FED UP! Everyday for the past WEEK my internet has been screwing me over. Every FIVE minutes it stops working without telling me (I only find out by the browser not working or MSN MEssenger signing out then in again) I have tried some of the stuff posted here and none of it works - here are details of my connection

Sky Broadband = Max

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7728 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.5 db 14.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 12.0 db

I'm pretty sure my net speed's capped x.x I've optimised it and whatnot, I'm also subscribed to open dns.

One thing I've noticed is my router is about as hot as a plate after microwaving it for 1 minute (my microwave is a 850 watt) and no, I didn't specially microwave a plate to find that out, I just happen to know what a plate after that feels like.

Whenever the net screws itself over, MSN d/cs and I try to reconnect, in the troubleshooter it says the DNS and Key Ports are the problem - fixed them ,they still screw up. My net was fine for the first 3 weeks, then it screwed up every Friday, then every other day, now it's every 5 minutes... Well, NOW it's working fine, but now isn't the time I'm asleep (I like to leave my downloads on overnight - alot of time, and that's when the yanks are on to leech off. By the way, I do it for backups because my DVD writer can't read DVD's for some reason) Blah blah blah...

Also, how do you contact Tier 3 so I can remove the cap? I'm sure it's capped because the site to check possible speed says 12-16 with my attenuation.

The wireless adapter has also fallen about 4 down onto wood - could that damage it or is it made of sterner stuff?

I've input my net connection to use the DNS servers -

Are these legit/faulty? Or how can I find ones in my local area? Sorry about the long post but I want this sorted out NOW it's really annoying...

On a last note, my friend also said that a cable is faster than using wireless - the wireless adapter I'm using is the one provided (for free! =D) by Sky, and the ethernet cable I have readilly at hand is the FastCat5e variety. When I use it it says the connection speed is 100Mbps, but that's just the speed it transfers data from the router, isn't it? My wireless adapter is in a USB 2.0 port, or w/e it happens to be now, and the ethernet port on my computer can be one of 2 - a usb 2.0 powered Belkin USb to Ethernet port which has a 10/100 mbps connection (!?!?!?!) or NVIDIA nForce Netwroking Controller... Which would be fastest?

Again, apologies on the size of this post.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained

Quote Originally Posted by shazmurasame View Post
      I have tried some of the stuff posted here and none of it works
      Such as? Have you turned off UPnP?

I'm pretty sure my net speed's capped
      Doesn't look that way to me - your noise margin is too low for a capped connection with your attenuation. More likely you have a noisy line.

One thing I've noticed is my router is about as hot as a plate after microwaving it for 1 minute
      It is normal for them to get warm but not hot. Do you have it mounted on the supplied feet?

Also, how do you contact Tier 3 so I can remove the cap? I'm sure it's capped because the site to check possible speed says 12-16 with my attenuation.
      You get to T3 through T1. Site checkers assume a relatively noise free line. From the limited stats you posted I suspect yours is not.

On a last note, my friend also said that a cable is faster than using wireless
      That's almost always true.