Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tester says high, reality is slow. Why?

This is a discussion on Tester says high, reality is slow. Why? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks I'm new to the forum and new to Sky. Although I know the basics I'm not very tech-minded ...

paulmcuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tester says high, reality is slow. Why?

Hi Folks

I'm new to the forum and new to Sky. Although I know the basics I'm not very tech-minded so do please bear with me...

Started with Sky Broadband just a couple of days ago (8mb) but I find my download speeds to be just 56kbs. It usually starts much higher but drops rapidly (in seconds) to this low level.

I've done speed tests using two different testers and both declare me to have a download rate of about 750kbs.

So my question is, what factors might be at play that only permit me a 56kbs download speed while allowing the speed testers to register a rate of 750kbs?

I know I'm capable of more because I could count on around 250kbs with my previous ISP (at least in the mornings) and I've changed nothing except provider and router. Ironically, slow downloads were one of the reasons I switched.

Not sure what other information you need. The 56kbs rate is for downloads from a site that I was previously able to get the 250kbs rate from so the fault is not with the site (I've also tried other sites with the same result).

Tried the TCPOptimiser but no joy.

I'm running Windows XP and IE7.

Got these stats from the router if they help:-

Connection Speed: Downstream - 864 kbps, Upstream - 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation: Downstream - 36.0 db, Upstream - 22.5 db
      Noise Margin: Downstream - 6.3 db, Upstream - 7.0 db

If you need any other information I'll happily provide it but, when you ask, assume I don't know how to get it.

Hoping someone has a suggestion.

Cheers.

Paul

2. Advertisement
      IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tester says high, reality is slow. Why?

Hi,

If you do a search in these forums for Noise on phoneline you will get some info on how to reduce your noise on your line.

You attenuation suggests you should get around 8000kbps but you are getting 800kbps and this is due to the noise margin being only 6.3db. Now the 6.3db would be fine if you connected at 8000kbps but due to the noise on your line your maximum speed is 800kbps.

I would have a good read on improving your noise and also check out the internal wiring and faceplate forums as there are alot of people who have similar problems related to thier master socket or thier internal wiring ( extension cables ) or lack of filters used.

If you read up on this you should get around 600k/sec downloads from your site and not 56k/sec.

good luck.

ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

With an attenuation of 36 dB you should be able to get much higher speeds. It looks like noise may be the problem. Suggest you do the following:-

If you have a standard NTE5 BT master socket, unscrew the lower half of the faceplate and carefully withdraw it. Plug your router (via a filter), into the test socket behind the faceplate.

After you have been connected for a few hours obtain your full router stats and post them here. To obtain your full stats use the Mognuts utility (see below). Click "Get detailed statistics". Note the message that appears about using the browser back button. When you are back at the main page, click "Download Netgear Config File". Open the file using Wordpad (not Notepad), highlight & copy the whole file and paste it here.

It's also worth doing the BT Quiet Line Test. Dial 17071 and select Option 2. Listen carefully for any hissing or crackling on your line.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. I'll investigate the noise issue.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve case View Post
      With an attenuation of 36 dB you should be able to get much higher speeds. It looks like noise may be the problem. Suggest you do the following:-

If you have a standard NTE5 BT master socket, unscrew the lower half of the faceplate and carefully withdraw it. Plug your router (via a filter), into the test socket behind the faceplate.

After you have been connected for a few hours obtain your full router stats and post them here. To obtain your full stats use the Mognuts utility (see below). Click "Get detailed statistics". Note the message that appears about using the browser back button. When you are back at the main page, click "Download Netgear Config File". Open the file using Wordpad (not Notepad), highlight & copy the whole file and paste it here.

It's also worth doing the BT Quiet Line Test. Dial 17071 and select Option 2. Listen carefully for any hissing or crackling on your line.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of socket. Mine has only a full face-plate and no test socket behind it (was here when I moved in - must be at least 20 years old). Is there any value in obtaining the full stats from normal connection?

I did the quiet line test and there is some crackling on the line so noise definitely is an issue. I'll continue to search the relevent topics for suggestions, although I sense rewiring lies in my future.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep it is worth posting the stats they will show the noise if it is there, also check that only pins 2 and 5 are connected in all your sockets, If there is noise you would need to disconnect any extension wiring from the master which is the same action as plugging into the test socket in order to rule out internal wiring problems.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, here are the stats. I suspect they just clarify that noise is the issue?

Meantime I checked my microfilter and ensured only pins 2 and 5 are connected. No difference.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 352 Kbps, Downstream rate = 1440 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.7 7.0
      Attn(dB): 36.0 22.5
      Pwr(dBm): 17.9 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 1600 416
      Rate (Kbps): 1440 352
      G.dmt framing
      K: 46(0) 12
      R: 16 16
      S: 4 16
      D: 32 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 28 13
      M: 8 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 8.5517 17.1428
      L: 232 112
      D: 16 8
      Counters
      SF: 474901 474899
      SFErr: 6 0
      RS: 8073328 2018320
      RSCorr: 8158 812
      RSUnCorr: 37 0

HEC: 4 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 27417620 0
      Data Cells: 2160298 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 332 0
      SES: 282 0
      UAS: 909 0
      Total time = 1 days 5 hours 42 min 45 sec
      SF = 6201951
      CRC = 1284
      LOS = 418
      LOF = 0
      ES = 332
      Latest 1 day time = 5 hours 42 min 45 sec
      SF = 1132692
      CRC = 1028
      LOS = 127
      LOF = 0
      ES = 78
      Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 45 sec
      SF = 45108
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5069259
      CRC = 256
      LOS = 291
      LOF = 0
      ES = 254
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, your stats indicate that noise is limiting your connection speed. Do you have other extension sockets wired from your old-type master socket? If so, then it would certainly be worthwile disconnecting the extension cable(s) at the master socket, so that the only thing left connected to your incoming BT line is the one (master) socket. Plug your router into this (via a filter), and see if things improve (post your stats again). However before connecting your router again, I would repeat the quiet line test (ideally using a good old wired handset). If you can still hear crackling, and you get little or no improvement when you try your router again, I would contact BT and tell them you have a noisy line, but don't mention broadband.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't actually have any extensions wired from the master and I've tried every suggestion I can find as far as tweaking goes so it would seem I'm out of options as to what I can do myself. I'll have to get BT to do something about the line.

There's something about Sky/the Sky router that's a contributing factor though because until the day I switched I was able to download at 250kbs (albeit only at certain times of the day). Wish I hadn't switched now!

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Deffo something wrong somewhere because your attenuation is about the same as mine which we would indicate you are about the same distance from the exchange as me and I get 8mb.
      Have you tried plugging the router straight into the master with nothing else plugged in i.e. disconnect any plug in extensions or Sky boxs phones etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast