Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cancelling Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Cancelling Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had Sky Broadband now for 2 weeks and to be honest it's a joke. Very frustrating after almost 5 ...

botty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancelling Sky Broadband

I've had Sky Broadband now for 2 weeks and to be honest it's a joke. Very frustrating after almost 5 years of excellent service from BT. The Asian (I assume India) Customer Services would only be any good I would imagine if you've just come out of a deep sleep and don't know a thing about Broadband/Routers etc.

I'm considering phoning them to see if I can cancel and then plan to go back to BT. Does anyone know before I phone whether this is something I will be able to do, or will I be bound to the 12 month contract. If the product is not fit for purpose then I would have thought that I have good reason.

I can't cope anymore with the good lady wife screaming at me saying that she can't get on the Internet!

2. Advertisement
      newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Cancelling Sky Broadband

i think you will find if you have been on for 2 weeks thats well over the 8 day cancel period BUT there are many posts on here where people have proved they have had a bad service from sky and even got a refund from what i have read as for who you write too or contact i know its on this forum somewhere and im sure someone can tell you

Radsan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Edgware
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by botty View Post
      The Asian (I assume India) Customer Services would only be any good I would imagine if you've just come out of a deep sleep and don't know a thing about Broadband/Routers etc.!
      Are you sure?

Cause every time I called, I was connected to Dublin and I ve called quite a few times.
      F1 NET-->Latest news, views on F1 & Motorsport
      <a href=http://f1net.smartlivin.net target=_blank>http://f1net.smartlivin.net</a>
      "Me->Why is my Max at 2MB when my neighbour on the same package is getting average speeds of upto 14MB?
      Sky Humour Line (Tech support)->Maybe your neighbour is getting some of your speed."

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had Sky Broadband now for 2 weeks and to be honest it's a joke. Very frustrating after almost 5 years of excellent service from BT.
      Are you comparing like with like - i.e. were you on 8Mb BT package before?
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was on 8mb ever since BT introduced it. Downloads are slower since moving to Sky (but I expected that due to the influx of Users) but the most frustrating thing is the wireless connections and all the problems I've had with it. It's never consistent - sometimes it's slow on all PC's, sometimes fine on one and not another, always a problem in one bedroom where it worked perfectly before. The only thing that has changed is Sky as a provider and the Router. I run Netstumbler and there are no new Wireless Routers in the area, and I've set my channel to the same as I used before with BT - I have tried all others also.

To answer the other person's question - I have spoken to Ireland once when I phoned in the day - but they had system problems and asked me to phone back later. Every other time has been in the evening and it has been India I believe and constant "can you repeat that please" with a less than perfect phone line.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If is only wireless you are having trouble with, why dont you use this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to extract your user name and password from the sky router and then use your old router, Unless it is a BT hub which are locked down. If so you could buy a cheap router off the net for 30, you will still be quids in because the monthly subscription for Sky is so much cheaper than BT.

Also have you turned uPNP off in the router menu, it is a known source of problems. Also could extract your detailed stats again using the above utility and post them here to see if we can spot any other issues.
      Last edited by Koala5; 21-06-07 at 02:58 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately you said the words BT Hub - it was the one I received just over a year ago with BT Fusion. I extracted and tried setting it up but it wouldn't connect. It is my next plan thought to surf these forums and see if there is something else that I can do - however most feedback is that I'm fighting a losing battle.

I've tried uPNP and it didn't make any difference. I've tried all the PC's with static IP addresses, re-sited the Router up near the ceiling, disconnected the cordless phone for a few days all to no avail.

I'm thinking of bringing in a witch doctor - not sure if that would help...lol

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm thinking of bringing in a witch doctor - not sure if that would help...lol
      Gotta be worth a go

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I read on here somewhere about piggy backing routers to increase wireless range might be worth doing a search on that see if anything can be found, or as I said buy a cheapy, I brought a dynomode for 30 new which worked very well but didn't cure my dropping out issue which turned out to be a wiring issue.