Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Connection Suddenly Dead?

This is a discussion on Connection Suddenly Dead? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have established where my main Bt point is - by following the wire in as you say. It does ...

goldieacks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Suddenly Dead?

I have established where my main Bt point is - by following the wire in as you say. It does not have the split front but just a box in one piece. Also my connection worked fine before I changed to Sky - I was with Wanadoo and it was 100% - does that imply that the problem is not with my phone line? We do have SKY plus running on two phone points, and three phone extensions plus an alarm connected to the phone line - could it just be overloaded?
      the other thing the sky tech people suggested was that the Laptop may need to be reset as it may not be compatible with the router? this seems unlikey to me as it works sometimes so must be able to talk to the router. By the way - the connection seems fine today - maybe it was a problem from Sky's end that has improved?
      thanks again I really appreciate the help.
      Karen

2. Advertisement
      kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 457 Kbps, Downstream rate = 133 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.9 0.0
      Attn(dB): 46.5 26.7
      Pwr(dBm): 0.8 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 132 17551
      Rate (Kbps): 133 457
      G.dmt framing
      K: 8(0) 15
      R: 16 16
      S: 16 8
      D: 2 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 33 66
      B: 7 14
      M: 16 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 26.7906 7.8273
      L: 43 139
      D: 2 8
      Counters
      SF: 737830 737828
      SFErr: 0 986
      RS: 1798464 6271538
      RSCorr: 198 53702
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 3282
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 3800779 13005147
      Data Cells: 346529 51344
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 90 60
      SES: 90 21
      UAS: 66 76
      Total time = 3 hours 22 min 10 sec
      SF = 737830
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 95
      LOF = 0
      ES = 90
      Latest 1 day time = 3 hours 22 min 10 sec
      SF = 737830
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 95
      LOF = 0
      ES = 90
      Latest 15 minutes time = 7 min 10 sec
      SF = 26333
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55118
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55117
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 7
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55117
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55116
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 7
      LOF = 0
      ES = 7

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldieacks View Post
      my connection worked fine before I changed to Sky - I was with Wanadoo and it was 100% - does that imply that the problem is not with my phone line? Karen
      Not necessarily. For example the way in which the two systems respond to changes in line noise may be very different. What speed were you connected at with Wanadoo? (This will give us a benchmark to compare your full Sky stats against).
      Last edited by Steve case; 21-06-07 at 12:00 AM.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Day 3 and things are going worse, this morning I had a max speed of 53 kb/s this is a joke, Im supposed to be getting upto 16mb on Max? not less than 56k (56k would actually be nice right now).

I have called them today to try push them (why cant they have UK call centres? cant tell a word she was saying - I dont think she knew what she was saying either), The women on the phone said something along the lines that someone from TIER3 will call me today or tomorrow, but deffinately by friday (if that makes sense) to tell me they have fixed my line, an extensive investigation is underway apparently ............does this sound familiar? or are they fobbing me off.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There does seem to be something wrong in your stats, Max(Kbps): 132 17551, this is an unheard of upload speed. I don't think it is possible with the technology. To me this suggests that your line has a very bad fault, or your router is failing.

As mentioned before, the tecchnology used for ADSL2+ is different from your previous ISP. Although it is capable of much better performance, it is more susceptible to any faults on the line. In saying that with the number of extensions, Sky+ and the Alarm there is a lot of room for faults in your internal wiring. Alarms in particular are known to contribute to problems. Unfortunately, the the best way to fix this is by using an ADSL faceplate, which with your present set up is impossible to fit. BT will fit one, but at a charge. It is possible to check if the line or the extensions are causing a problem, but it is not for the faint hearted, as it would involve disconnecting almost all the wires on the consumer side of the Master socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wasnt the guy with the alarm system etc lol.

One more thing......When I'm on the phone sometimes (not all the time) I can hear a women in the background talking about Sky (sounds like a commercial or an announcement or something) she rabbits on whilst I am talking to someone else on the phone and she shouldnt be on the line but she is..........sounds like something pre recorded.

Out of curiosity, what other ADSL providers are good in the UK? Im not prepared to be messed around by Sky and if the issue isnt resolved by Monday I will leave them, contract or not.

Is there an EMail address for TIER3? and do they respond to mails?
      Last edited by kazz0817; 21-06-07 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

This is the problem with too many posting their problems in one thread. The fact that you hear someone on your line is promising. Do you have your Sky TV box plugged in? It sounds like it is and is not filtered properly. Unplug it for a while, reboot your router and then take your stats again after a couple of hours.

If the problem is with your line, going to another provider will not make any difference, unless you go back to a 2Mb connection. Which does not make the same demands on your line as high speed broadband.

Officially you can only get to T3 through T1.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I phoned Technical Support again this morning, around 7am, due to me being impatient.

I got some chap on the line who said he would try to put me through to TIER3. Someone then came on the line saying they was from TIER3, all this took about 2 minutes, I was pretty impressed, good job I phoned early. I was further impressed because I got some Irish guy rather than some indian person who I dont understand, I still have trouble with Irish folks language but much easier to understand than Indian people trying to talk english.....so we proceeded with the call which ended up being around 20 minutes long.

The TIER3 guy said he was thoroughly testing my line, he went silent for awhile, and then came back and said my Line was crystal clear, but due to my location I can never get speeds faster than 4mb, due to my distance from the exchange, I told him that 4mb would be nice right now.

He tested the line and came back empty, and told me it sounds like my Router is playing up, he told me if you dont use the feet on them, then they almost gaurantee to break within a few weeks/months because they are not well made. So warned me to use the feet in future, he sent me a replacement Router (3-5 working days he says).

He said to try and increase my speed in the meantime he has capped my line at half a mb, now this confused me........he also said when my router would arrive, they will cap me at 2mb. He then said If I get 2mb on my new router, I have to phone them, and they will cap me at 4mb, to optimize speed.

Im confused how my speed was 150kb/s and he told me this is cos of my router, then he caps me, and my speed goes to 500kb/s, if he can change my speed, then how can my router be broken? not sure I understand.

Thanks

I still think there is a problem with your line if you can hear someone on it. Did you unplug your Sky box as I suggested? Try phoning BT and tell them you are hearing voices on the line, don't mention it has anything to do with Broadband.

Capping your speed will reduce the errors, thus giving you a faster stable rate.

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazz0817 View Post
      he told me if you dont use the feet on them, then they almost gaurantee to break within a few weeks/months because they are not well made. So warned me to use the feet in future,
      Perhaps in view of this we ought to seek an official statement from Sky. The Sky step by step guide that came with the router says the feet are for standing it in the vertical position, not for improving the cooling. I (and I suspect thousands of others) use the router in the horizontal position, without feet, as shown in every illustration in the Sky guide. Are we all heading for meltdown?
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast