Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Connection Suddenly Dead?

This is a discussion on Connection Suddenly Dead? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been pondering what to use to keep my router Vertical (it has always been Horizontal). Reading the above ...

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connection Suddenly Dead?

I have been pondering what to use to keep my router Vertical (it has always been Horizontal). Reading the above post, is keeping the base off the surface of my desk all that is needed? so If I raise the router slightly, this will also work AND keep it horizontal? rather than trying to get it vertical.

I think my modem has heat damage (I may be wrong, its all I can think of, or my line is messed up).

How long do these TIER 3 guys normally take to fix a problem? will they send me a new Router? or could this take months to fix???

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is entirely possible that your router may be suffering from a heat problem. However don't assume that because everthing has appeared OK for a few months that your line and wiring is, in fact, OK. You posted some stats showing a noise margin of 6.8 dB which seems poor, given that your connection speed at the time was only 208 kbps. If you're not getting anywhere with T3, or with sorting out your possible heat problem, it would be worth you posting full stats with your router plugged into the test socket. That may provide a clue to what is wrong.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Exchange:
      Thanks

How do I get my full stats?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect via test socket. Browse internet for a few minutes at least. Use Mognuts (see below). Click "Get detailed statistics". Follow instruction about using back button. Click "Download Netgear Config File" open with Wordpad (not Notepad) and then copy the whole file and paste it here.
      Useful Links

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Steve is right, although you may have a problem with your router also it will not negotiate a sync speed any differently ( the router would just reboot randomly ) so you deffo have an internal wiring problem, As suggested Unplug everything from the main socket and only have a filter and your router plugged into it, reboot the router and see what stats you get then. If they are still bad then asking for a replacement router may be a wise decision, Just explain it is VERY hot and reboots randomly they should change it for you.

Good Luck

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Thanks

When I try that utility all I get is this message....

Usage: ping [OPTION]... host

I tested the Broadband in the Test Socket with everything else unplugged, the speed was exactly the same, no improvement at all (possibly worse)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazz0817 View Post
      When I try that utility all I get is this message....

Usage: ping [OPTION]... host

I tested the Broadband in the Test Socket with everything else unplugged, the speed was exactly the same, no improvement at all (possibly worse)
      When you get that message you use your browser back button to get back to the Mognuts main page. (That's what I meant about following the instruction (appears in a pop-up window) about using the back button.
      Useful Links

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I tested the Broadband in the Test Socket
      Are you sure you used the test socket? It accessed by unscrewing the 2 screws from the front on the Master socket and gently easing the faceplate off. You must plug in there and browse/download for a few hours, then take the stats. Taking them after a few minutes will not give a meaningful result. There is no way that they can be worse than those taken from your normal position, as this is the cleanest way to access your phone line.

goldieacks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just joined this forum today as I am looking for help with our Broadband. The service is fine during the day - but drops the connection quite a lot in peak time. Have spoken to Sky loads of times they are very little help. Does anyone have any advice in laymans terms. I have looked at the master socket advice but am not sure which is my master socket - we have modern steel fittings and none are split. I have only been with Sky a week but am ready to cancel the service as it has been so terrible? can anyone help?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Look for the BT drop (i.e. the BT line that comes into your property) and follow it until you find where it is connected. This will either be a socket of some kind (in a reasonably modern installation a standard master socket with a split faceplate) or a junction box. If a junction box then it is necessary to follow the wire(s) to see where they go.

Any telephone-line based broadband service (not just Sky) can be affected badly by electrical interference associated with telephone extension wiring. The first step in solving connection problems is to eliminate this as far as possible If you have a standard master socket you just connect temporarily via the test socket (accessed by unscrewing and carefully removing the lower half of the split faceplate). If you don't have a standard socket then it may be more difficult - you will need to provide full details of what is connected where.

The majority of problems associated with loss of connection during the evenings can be resolved without resorting to Sky technical support. In any case they are likely to end up "solving" your problem by simply permanently capping your speed. People in this forum are willing to help you find a better solution, but it needs patience. There are two or three steps you may need to take to get a stable connection, but if you have a standard master socket the first step should always be to see what happens when you connect via the test socket, because this effectively isolates any wiring that may be making a significant contribution to the problem.

Having done that, the next step is to connect to the internet - ideally for a few hours,and then post your full router statistics so that we can see how your connection is performing. Instructions for doing this using the Mognuts utility are given earlier in this thread, and in many other places in the forum.
      Last edited by Steve case; 20-06-07 at 09:12 AM.
      Useful Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast