Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Interleave value 64? (stat report)

This is a discussion on Interleave value 64? (stat report) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here's my problem, line syncs at 15323 cannot get above 10.5-11. Tier2 tell me I must have Malware /virus using ...

geo48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lancaster
      Broadband ISP: waiting for max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Interleave value 64? (stat report)

Here's my problem, line syncs at 15323 cannot get above 10.5-11.
      Tier2 tell me I must have Malware /virus using netstat(established /waiting connections)
      tested 3 different systems-live boot linux slaxx o/s- master socket- phone unplugged- no extension phones. use bitdefender 10 ISS, adaware,S&D,A2,Windose defender, all updates xp-pro

Changed filters (got lots of em) cables.
      Managed to correctly guess login /pass so changed router to Dynamode which has given excellent service stats as follows

Statistics -- ADSL
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Line Coding: Trellis On
      Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
      SNR Margin (dB): 12.1 15.5
      Attenuation (dB): 25.5 12.5
      Output Power (dBm): 15.5 12.6
      Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18276 860
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 760
      MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 68
      B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 238 23
      M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 8
      T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 1
      R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16 16
      S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4980 7.7395
      L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 4096 215
      D (interleaver depth): 64 8
      Delay (msec): 7 15

Super Frames: 17287 17285
      Super Frame Errors: 2 1
      RS Words: 2247404 146922
      RS Correctable Errors: 427 0
      RS Uncorrectable Errors: 21 N/A

HEC Errors: 2 0
      OCD Errors: 0 0
      LCD Errors: 0 0
      Total Cells: 10119907 498519
      Data Cells: 14863 2242
      Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 2 1
      Total SES: 0 0
      Total UAS: 17 39

As you can see the reported attainable rate is 18+
      Everything else in fact seem pretty damn good.
      The only thing I do not like the look of is the interleave.
      My understanding of interleave goes back to "big" hard drives where sector interleave was used to increase the read rate due to mechanical / electronic compatibility, saw a thread on interleaving whilst trying to get a handle on this but that appears to confuse encoding to interleave .Used to be able to download 500-700 on 8128 sync from one site (large files) now with interleave maxing out at about 250.

What is of a real concern is are T2 correct even run hijack this & emsi Hijackfree checked for rootkits, Disabled all but the minimum function processes but getting the same on Linux live only one sys on line,Or is this all down to not being on fast
      Do I owe T2 a box of chockies or a slap????

Help please

Thoughts please
      Last edited by geo48; 17-06-07 at 02:02 PM. Reason: hit rtn at wrong page

2. Advertisement
      maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Interleave valuue 64? (stat report)

Managed to correctly guess login /pass
      Some talent you have there

Quote Originally Posted by geo48 View Post
      excellent service stats as follows

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah well I wouldn't do anything I wasn't supposed to like all the member os this illustrious site.

(cough cough splutter)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You are syncing at 15323 which is a typical maximum figure on Max (i.e. that's what Sky usually cap it at).

If you're getting low download speeds then look to the following (in order of likelihood):
      • a poor wireless connection
      • an overloaded/slow speedtest server - 15323 should give a download of ~12250kbps allowing for transmission overheads
      • incorrect TCP/IP settings
      • errors on your line
      • malware

You haven't said whether this is wired or wireless. You haven't said which speedtest server you use. You haven't said whether you've tuned your connection. The stats you posted cover too little traffic to comment on errors. You didn't say if you found any active connections you weren't expecting.

Interleaving in the ADSL sense is a form of data transmission which minimises errors. It doesn't have any material negative impact on speed (download or sync), if anything, on a line with errors it will improve transmission speeds. It does have a negative impact on latency.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Interleave value 64? (stat report)

Hi Thanks for your suggestions
      answers are as follows

Wired cat5e- wireless disabled
      Have used dslzoneuk , broadband choice, Namesco, think broadband, only managed to use dslzone when running the slaxx linux live cd (others don't like linux, But in saying that all the results have been 10-10.5 when carried out (occasional busts to 11ish)

Can't really go with the tcip settings again the linux different systems just done a clean xp install on one sys split the hdd tested bare xp still exactly the same, just running second partition with Vista install to see if any different, on that note the mtu in sky router set to 1500don't suppose that should be 1492 or owt like that?
      Errors on line, with all the messing around I've been doing the connection hasn't been attached for long periods (except night and forgot to check first thing ) but the dynamode has a ber test and ran that for 6mins, longest you can set and no errors plus when i've been swopping stuff around and not spotted anything untoward. Plus the line has never been noisy since they renewed all the poles and drops in the village last year.Spped with nildram went up then to over 7 on 8128.
      Malware Now this is a conundrum the T2 guy asked me to go on line(already was) and navigate ebay he then asked me run netstat and asked how many entries there were, I said quite a few but did he mean established etc he said were there more than 4 established I replied yes he then replied Virus/malware he was quite adamant about it , now its been some time since I 've used that command but since his comments I've been looking quite hard at this this thing being I cannot recreate the exact conditions ie daughter in room with hers on etc. I've been over this and the other sys's with a fine tooth comb and unless all I have is useless, which I don't think is true given their pedigree's then I'm 99% sure there's no malware, unless its very very new.
      The reason i mentioned interleaving is basically I,ve run out of ideas with the old 8128 connection I got about 80-90% of the sync (7ish) I could download files ,site, time dependant up to 7-800 max usually about 3-400, but with this I'm getting 60% ish of sync and the downloads are less than half of what I got previously, seems sky is all "fur coat and no nickers" Also my understanding of interleave is 14" disc era

So don't really know what to do didn't get connected till friday (that's another saga) I've read report of and seen speed results of the 15 order but more concerned over the throughput, I think unless you've any other suggestions I'll check the error rate tomorrow but that will be day 4 so have to make decision soon.
      Thanks for your input greatly appreciated hope you can think of something else I've missed.

PS here the 5min ber test pasted that one(dynamode router speed same)
      in decimal thats 4163230080 bps divide by 300 gives 13877433.6 almost 13.8mbps not sure how raw those figures are so unsure wether to add or subtract any overheads(my head hurts) either way could say the 10 or 15 was right as its bang in the middle, have to ask dynamode for test specs

ADSL BER Test - Result

The ADSL BER test completed successfully.
      Test Time (sec): 300
      Total Transferred Bits: 0x00000000F825D980
      Total Error Bits: 0x0000000000000000
      Error Ratio: 0.00e+00

Kitch9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had broadband for years, and the rule always has been to expect an actual throughput of around 80% of your synced speed, due various internet conditions.....

About Bandwidth

Have a read of this, go lie down on the settee with a cup of tea and a biscuit, and stop worrying about it....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LIE DOWN LIE DOWN how can I

I'm writing this on a sys that I,ve just wiped and put vista on, and guess what the same speed ie 10.4ish. Now so far I,ve tried xp-pro vista linux live all the same I'm certain that I have and never had a virii/malware. I acually info'd the guy on tier 2 that I had 2 sys's with same reading and one was an install if 4 days ,up'd the HDD on Tuesday. The point is he was so glib and sure from the netstats that I had malware, in fact he stated that I should be getting the full 15mb if it were not for the malware. But just went from here to ebay and netstat (dos in all new vista?) and there were 9 established connections plus of course the skyuser on wait. I will have to get to the bottom of this ,thats just me but what an easy way to get rid of callers in this day and age everyone is a tad paranoid that their system may be compromised and if you can be that convincing well.....
      Will still check errors tomorrow and if none then not sure I've any confidence left. time will tell!!Does this look better for being written on a pretty desktop???

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

mate, unless you post ur full modem stats then we cant comment on whats going on.....it would appear from what you've said (to me anyway) that your line is only giving you 10mbps odd as this is the most the line will take in its current form (even though you're training up at 15mbps)

i wouldnt worry about it tbh....what difference is an extra 200-oddkbps on ur downlads really gonna make?

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The 64/8 may be the max delay setting which is changeable on the DSLAM.
      It sets the maximum delay teh DSLAM can wait between sending packets. If it's too high then your sync rate will not relate to your (slower) data rate.
      I should imagine a better setting would be 8 or even 0.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the above replies
      I have recently had a couple of issues with sky so am nervous about being misled about anything and my thought are if they say the line is capable of 15323 and that's what their giving then why am i not getting it, also I was concerned with the ease with which their T2 convinced me I was infected in some way, The 200 odd on download I regard as important as this can make a major difference when downloading a linux distro or other large file I've already noticed a difference with the few downloads I've done to-date.
      The stats you have asked for are I assume are not the limited ones available on the skybox, I've put the dynamode earlier which are quite comprehensive but should you require fuller ones then I assume there's a link to how to obtain them.

This 64/8 sounds a real possibility to me as I did a bit of reading last night and there are two distinct schools of thought, good article entitles "its the latency stupid" and another one regarding the trade off of speed for reliability concerned with the roll out of iptv bit of heavy going in the wee hours but will have another go later. Tell me how does one get the figure checked and indeed altered is this a bt or T3 issue and can this figure be confirmed on the netgear?

Again thanks for all input and advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast