Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Packet loss and slow speed at random times

This is a discussion on Packet loss and slow speed at random times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had Sky Broadband installed on Thursday and since then once or twice a day the connection gets really slow ...

NathP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Packet loss and slow speed at random times

I had Sky Broadband installed on Thursday and since then once or twice a day the connection gets really slow and I start getting major packet loss if I ping the IP from another connection. If I then reboot the sky router the connection comes back all fast again with no packet loss until the problem happens again.

Below are my line stats which I took from the router when I was having this problem. I notice theres alot of CRC errors, I am using the router from the master socket by the way. So if theres anything I change let me know thanks

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 760 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 9.0
      Attn(dB): 25.0 11.9
      Pwr(dBm): 0.2 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 16208 860
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 760
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7395
      L: 4096 215
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 558128 558126
      SFErr: 122185 1
      RS: 72556692 4744071
      RSCorr: 2484248 0
      RSUnCorr: 1255585 0

HEC: 122216 0
      OCD: 12095 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 323355513 13381634
      Data Cells: 61080 1516883
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2169 1
      SES: 1997 0
      UAS: 14 17
      Total time = 2 hours 30 min 54 sec
      SF = 558128
      CRC = 122185
      LOS = 14
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2169
      Latest 1 day time = 2 hours 30 min 54 sec
      SF = 558128
      CRC = 122185
      LOS = 14
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2169
      Latest 15 minutes time = 54 sec
      SF = 3336
      CRC = 3322
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 54
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 55353
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 900
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55652
      CRC = 49338
      LOS = 3
      LOF = 0
      ES = 823
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 11396
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 291
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 2737
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 62

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Packet loss and slow speed at random times

It's possible your high error count could be due to a large variation in the noise level on your line. It's worth using the Mognuts utility to reboot your router with the target noise level set higher than the 7 dB default value - say 12 dB - and see if the high error level continues. (You will get a somewhat lower connection speed, but you will at least be able to determine whether noise variation is causing the problem).
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One other thought. It 's worth seeing what happens when you connect to the test socket (the one behind your master socket) especially if you have any telephone extensions wired from it. This may reduce noise levels generally (thereby improving your connection speed).
      Useful Links

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep your stats are terrible!! During the period below you had nearly 100% errors!!

Latest 15 minutes time = 54 sec
      SF = 3336
      CRC = 3322
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 54

You need to isolate your internal wiring by plugging the router direct into the test socket behind the face of the master socket. Even though you are plugged into the master extensions can still generate errors on the line if badly wired or cheap cable.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your help

Right I've changed the Noise Margin to 12 and that didn't help. My master socket is one of those old cream ones that I don't think has the tester socket

I could try and disconnect every phone in the house to see if its one of the phones or filters I suppose.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I opened up my master socket and I don't think its even a proper master socket as its one of the old LJ2/3A ones which I think is a extension socket, there are no resistors or test sockets.

When the drop line comes into the house there is a junction box, if I open this junction box is looks a right mess with these plastic round things joining up the wires. Other then the drop line this junction box has two cables coming out of it, one which goes to this LJ2/3A socket and one that goes off to the other extensions around the house, none of these extensions are master sockets, is this a good reason to get BT to come around and install one free of charge as I don't have one?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It would certainly be a very good idea to get a new master socket installed, pereferably one with a filtered faceplate. Whether you can get BT to install this free of charge I don't know - posts elsewhere in the forum may offer advice on this. Unplugging your telephones will have little, if any, effect - it's the wiring itself that acts like an aerial picking up the noise. In the meantime there are a few things you can do:-

1. Take time to look at the various stickies in the "Cabling and faceplate help" area of the forum.
      2. If some or all of the extension wiring can be disconnected easily, see what effect that has. Ideally, to eliminate any noise pick-up within your house, you need to be able to connect your router as close as possible to the place where the line drop terminates, with all other extension wiring disconnected. (In effect, that's what you get when you use the test facility in a proper master socket).
      3. Try using the free RouterStats utility (see my signature) to continuously graph your noise margin. (In the Configure/Graphs/Common Settings menu, set the sample rate to something less than the 1-minute default value (say 20 seconds). You need to keep the utility running for several hours -ideally 24 hours - to see what is happening to your noise margin.
      4. Try setting your target noise margin even higher - say 20 - dB it will reduce your connection speed substantially, but it may give you a stable connection and reduce your horrendous errors. Do some internet browsing for half an hour after changing the margin, and then post your new stats here.
      Last edited by Steve case; 18-06-07 at 09:02 AM.
      Useful Links

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Packet loss and slow speed at random times

What you need to do is change your current socket to a BT/NTL N.T.E 5A MASTER SOCKET , you can then swap out the faceplate for a XTE-2005 from adslnation.com, it replaces the existing faceplate on the standard BT NTE-5 master telephone socket where the line enters your premises for optimum performance.
      I had a similar problem as you, when I called BT they wanted 60 to change my old style socket to a NTE 5. You cannot purchase an NTE 5 from anyone other than BT technically, but have a look around ebay.
      To finish off I shopped at Kenable.co.uk and purchased an ADSL High Speed Broadband Modem cable 5 m in length and hard wired this through to the router, no more filters and an independant line.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Irrespective of how you get a proper master socket installed, it is important that no wiring to other sockets is connected anywhere between the new master socket and the BT drop. Any extensions should be wired from the faceplate on the master socket. I too can recommend the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate. It enabled me to reduce noise, without having to to re-wire all the telephone extensions in my house.
      Useful Links

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It would be worth checking that only pins 2 and 5 are connected in all your sockets, extra wires ring/bell wire etc should be disconnected as they are not required for modern phones and tend to cause noise.
      ADSL nation are now selling NTE5's, 5.99 ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast