Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Packet loss and slow speed at random times

This is a discussion on Packet loss and slow speed at random times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The noise is probably because it isn't wired correctly as I said best option is to have master close to ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Packet loss and slow speed at random times

The noise is probably because it isn't wired correctly as I said best option is to have master close to the drop cable. If wired correctly lowest noise should be at that point.

2. Advertisement
      Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Packet loss and slow speed at random times

Regarding your wiring, the most important things are as follows:-

• You need to put your new master socket as close practical to the BT drop - i.e. to the junction box in your bedroom.
      • If the distance between the junction box and the new master socket is longer than a few inches, then the cable should be twisted pair type to BT specification CW1308 (you can buy it from ADSL Nation) rather than the flat type that comes with most DIY extension kits. (Twisted pair cable is less prone to noise pick-up).
      • This cable should not be run to any other sockets, and you should have no other cables connected to the junction box (other than the BT drop).
      • If you need other telephone extension sockets, these are best left until you've got your broadband sorted, and they are best connected via an XTE-2005 filtered faceplate fitted to your new master socket. You could if necessary also wire an ADSL extension from the filtered faceplate using network cable.

Once you have sorted your wiring out you should find that for a given connection speed, your noise margin is improved (or for a given noise margin your connection speed is improved) and you may also find that the variations in noise level are also reduced. However my own experience was that even after improving the wiring, fluctuations in noise level were still significant (i.e. several dB). I found it best to use the Mognuts utility to set the target noise margin to 14dB (I did this during the daytime - a slightly smaller level would have been OK at night). I found this gave enough headroom for the router to handle the reductions in noise level that ocurred every evening, and at random other times.
      Useful Links
      Download RouterStats (useful utility for continuously recording noise margin)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123