Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The Signup Process

This is a discussion on The Signup Process within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey there, first post, so please be gentle I got my "21 days or to the back of the queue ...

elrandom3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hey there, first post, so please be gentle

I got my "21 days or to the back of the queue with you!" e-mail today, but i'm still worried about the lack of information about the packages. I'm currently on an ISP with a Static IP, yet there is no mention of whether or not this comes with the Sky deals or not. There's also the case of the mysterious FUP, which seems to have been written in invisible ink.

It seems strange to me that they let people sign up without giving details of what they're getting, especially as they're saying "Subject to FUP", without giving the details... maybe that could be used against them at a later stage?

But yeah, i'll be keeping an eye out here, and elsewhere for any information.. otherwise i'll give them a bell on Saturday (when 0870 is cheaper ) to see what they say.

Good luck to anyone who's jumping in feet first.. lets hope it's all as good as it looks

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is online now Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elrandom3 View Post

I got my "21 days or to the back of the queue with you!" e-mail today, but i'm still worried about the lack of information about the packages. I'm currently on an ISP with a Static IP, yet there is no mention of whether or not this comes with the Sky deals or not. There's also the case of the mysterious FUP, which seems to have been written in invisible ink.

It seems strange to me that they let people sign up without giving details of what they're getting, especially as they're saying "Subject to FUP", without giving the details... maybe that could be used against them at a later stage?

But yeah, i'll be keeping an eye out here, and elsewhere for any information.. otherwise i'll give them a bell on Saturday (when 0870 is cheaper ) to see what they say.

Good luck to anyone who's jumping in feet first.. lets hope it's all as good as it looks
      Hello elrandom3 and welcome
      to answer the ip question i have a post here with what you get with your package,

as for the FUP when i spoke to them they was fague to say the least but it looks like on the MAX package the upper abuse limit will be 100+GB after which you will be moved onto a gatway with other heavy users and have a letter sent to you,
      now the interesting part if this looks excactly like the FUP for UKonline (which used to be part of easynet which is now part of sky) but time will tell.

im sure with the easynet network it will be as good as it looks its just how they manage it we will have to watch.

hope this helps

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

welcome to the site elrandom3!

fyi we had easynet on here last night (so the stats say) Easynet are the guys who provided the hardware to sky (well sold it iirc)

Satdish has emailed them to ask if they would like to be involved in some kind of forum discussions with us, here on this site.

watch this space!

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for the info and the welcome SatDish (and NewsreadeR too)

100GB seems like a fair limit to me. I'm currently on a 20GB capped product, and as far as i'm aware, i've never breached that, so unless I go download-mad I think I should be okay. The only issue I can see is them offering dynamic IP addresses. It'd be interesting to know if this is true-dynamic, or just sticky-dynamic.

I'll phone them up tommorrow, and ask all the questions. If they can't provide everything I want, then i'll just stick where I am.. I'd rather pay a little extra to get benefits like static ip and webspace, than save a few quid and lose all the things I have come to love

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I'll phone them up tommorrow, and ask all the questions. If they can't provide everything I want, then i'll just stick where I am.. I'd rather pay a little extra to get benefits like static ip and webspace, than save a few quid and lose all the things I have come to love
      Satdish spoke to easynet on the phone, to ask them certain questions and we are awaiting clarification.

On a positive note we have had an email from Easynet (cant help us) and Sky who have passed it to the relevant department.

We would like to see SKY on here and hopefully getting involved to answer questions like you are asking. Even if they dont come aboard straight away, i am sure they will once they see how popular our users on here are going to make it

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'll be interested to hear what they have to say

It seems stupid to me that they're not offering more information about the service. It would be in their best interests to lay all their cards on the table so the users can make an informed decision about their service. I can foresee many people jumping in straight away and being unhappy with the service they are receiving, purely because Sky didn't tell the users exactly what they were getting.

Here's hoping that Sky's response is what we all want to hear

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      The way i have understood how things are going to work

1) Easynet are training / supplying the support staff for SKY BB

2) If you take the mickey out of downloading the internet, you will get moved onto a BADBOY Gateway, where you can all download the internet - at a greatly reduced speed (which i feel is a fair approach) The figure i remember is 100gb. You will recieve a letter afaik and if you carry on abusing it, i feel they will probably send u a MAC

3) One router means it is dead easy to solve problems via support and the customer

once 1) has happened and all the staff are full conversant with the details, they will release these, so all the staff are singing out of the same hymm book.

Being on previous ISP's there is nothing worse than the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!

contraste is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bloomsbury aka Howland St
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SAFC2403 View Post
      Got my email last night saying i've got 21 days to sign up. Going for the Maximum product at 10 quid per month.

God I hope it's ok.
      Where do you live/which exchange?

Good luck!

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hello And welcome (you're not that shy on your current ISP Unofficial support forum though ).
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by LNB View Post
      Hello And welcome (you're not that shy on your current ISP Unofficial support forum though ).
      I like to tread carefully when I go somewhere new... just to be on the safe side..

So, I just got off the phone from Sky. The phone was answered straight away (it was sales, so, probably to be expected). I didn't really learn anything new, it has to be said, but here's an outline of the answers I did manage to get:

• IP Address - It is truly dynamic, not sticky or static, and the line cannot be used for business.
      • Extras - There's no webspace at all, but they're still thinking about newsgroup access.
      • FUP - She didn't give me an exact limit, but said they'll email you over a 3 month period if you go over their limit, with action being taken on the 3rd month if usage is still excessive.
      • Support - She told me they offer 24/7 support on an 0207 number - I thought Sky only used 0870 numbers?
      • Moving - We could be moving during the contract period, so I asked what would happen. She said there were no plans as yet, but it's likely it'll become part of the 'Moving Home' package that Sky offer
      • Supported OS - I use Linux, and she said that until I get a Windows or Mac based computer, I would not be able to order.. which is strange as I thought the router did all the work?

I've decided that the things they're offering aren't going to suit my needs, and as such i've decided to stick where I am (at f2s - God help me! ) for the time being.

Good luck to all those going in for it, i'd be interested to hear your experiences

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast