Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My first contact with Sky tech support

This is a discussion on My first contact with Sky tech support within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ^ what he said......

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My first contact with Sky tech support

^ what he said...

2. Advertisement
      SmudgeSmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was thinking of replacing the faceplate with ADSL-Nations, to see if that made a difference.
      If I plug into the test socket and I still get dropouts what does that indicate and what should I do?
      You (& previous response) suggest capping. How do I do that? Although I suspect that I was capped at 2mb with Plusnet as my download speeds on average were 1mbs which I can live with as long as the connection doesn't keep dropping.
      I also suspect that the advertised hi speeds that are appearing by ISP's only apply to those people who are in close vicinity to the exchange and people like me who live on the 'border' so-to-speak are deemed as just unluck to have chosen to live where we do cos we aint never gonna get those sort of speeds that the ISP are claiming we can get.
      BTW...thaks for your help & assitance chaps...really appreciate getting some sort of sense out of someone.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

in fairness to the ISPs, they quote UP TO speeds (ie UP TO 8Mb for Mid) and yes the further you are from the exchange the lower you will get.

If you try the test socket behind the master socket and it improves, then get an adslnation faceplate.

If it doesn't then you will need to cap yourself. use mognuts util in my sig and set your Noise Margin to (say 14db) and see if that helps. YOu will need to experiment with teh actual level until you find the one that works for you.

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you don't have any extensions wired from your master socket, then fitting a filtered faceplate probably won't give much improvement, although it can't do any harm to try, and is relatively cheap. Either way I recommend doing as suggested, and use the Mognuts utility to set your target noise margin to a level significantly higher than the 7dB default value. Try rebooting during the day (i.e. before 6pm) with the target noise margin set to 14dB and see if your connection remains stable, and reasonably error free during the next 24 hours. It's best to monitor your noise margin throughout the evening/night period from about 6 pm until the early hours of the morning (it can drop significantly during this period). The RouterStats utility is free, and is very useful for continuously graphing the noise margin. If your connection stays good, and your noise margin stays significantly above 6.5, then you can try setting the target noise margin a bit lower than 14 dB, and improve your connection speed. I have found that if I reboot the router in the daytime, I need to use a target noise margin of about 13dB because the margin drops steadily by several dB from about 8pm onwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12