Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changed Connection Method Problem.

This is a discussion on Changed Connection Method Problem. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Everyone, I've been using a netgear USB WG111T to connect to the sky broadband router, but have been getting ...

rlnc722 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changed Connection Method Problem.

Hello Everyone,

I've been using a netgear USB WG111T to connect to the sky broadband router, but have been getting a few crashes.

So I've got an Ethernet cable to see if I can improve matters.

Thing is that when I do connect the cable, I cannot connect to the router, let alone the internet! I have Vista, and it tries to identify the network but cannot.

I can get a IP address for the USB adaptor + MAC, via ipconfig and the router IP comes up as the default gateway.

When I connect the Ethernet, I can get an IP address and MAC, but the default gateway is blank, as you would expect.

The ethernet connector is CAT6.

Looking around, it seems as though ISPs can register the MAC of the 1st item you use to connect with. Also, because the sky router has dropped some of the menu I cannot do basic settings.

Anybody out there got any advice? It doesn't appear to be the firewall (NIS 2007).

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Changed Connection Method Problem.

they record the MAC of the router and thats it - and im sure it should be CAT5 u use for an ethernet connection

Thanks

ignore the CAT6 comment, didnt know it was actually meant to be better than 5!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go to the Network and Sharing Centre. Check if you are configured to access the internet. Make sure that Network discovery is Selected. If you are not showing as being connected to the Internet, click Set up a Connection or Network in the Left pane. Follow the Wizard.

If this does not work, try turning off the Norton Firewall, also the Windows one if you are using it. It in particular, has the habit of blocking connections without informing you.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Go to the Network and Sharing Centre. Check if you are configured to access the internet. Make sure that Network discovery is Selected. If you are not showing as being connected to the Internet, click Set up a Connection or Network in the Left pane. Follow the Wizard.

If this does not work, try turning off the Norton Firewall, also the Windows one if you are using it. It in particular, has the habit of blocking connections without informing you.
      Thanks. Network discovery WAS on, but turning off the firewall for five minutes, and using Vista to automatically re-configue IP address has worked.

Norton now recognises and protects the ethernet connection, and I'm on the net with that connection.

Thanks very much for your ideas.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlnc722 View Post
      Thanks. Network discovery WAS on, but turning off the firewall for five minutes, and using Vista to automatically re-configue IP address has worked.

Norton now recognises and protects the ethernet connection, and I'm on the net with that connection.

Thanks very much for your ideas.
      Well, I'm now back to the WG111T ! The Ethernet connection reverted to unidentifyed network each time I restarted, which isn't good enough really.

I went through the same method as before to establish a connection, but it didn't work.

So now I'm back to the wireless adaptor (which has just failed and been re-installed!!!)

Can anybody think of why the ethernet would be dropping every reboot?
      Can I connect the USB and ethernet at the same time?

As far as I see the router is ok. When the PC fails, it seems to connect my Wii no problem. There must be a conflict somewhere, but god knows where.

Can you sense my frustration??????

Thanks

windows will always take a wired connection over wireless as its physical so altho u can have it plugged in it won't be the active connection...

are u using the vista drivers for the WG111T? if not, then thats prob gonna cause some issues

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      windows will always take a wired connection over wireless as its physical so altho u can have it plugged in it won't be the active connection...

are u using the vista drivers for the WG111T? if not, then thats prob gonna cause some issues
      Vista drivers off the netgear page yes.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have Vista drivers installed for the ethernet card? I can't help thinking the combination of Vista and the Norton Firewall have something to do with your problem. Try turning off the firewall for a while and see if it helps. If you have the firewall enabled in the router, you are very unlikely to run into trouble, unless you open dodgy emails or such like.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I haven't installed any vista drivers. The ethernet is on the motherboard and I upgraded all possible drivers to vista when I got it.

I have also noticed that this site resets the connection to the server a lot from my PC, which often leads to me being unable to read the page.

Can't help thinking that if I solve that, I might solve this, although I have already proven that Norton is not responsible for that.

I'll have a look for more drivers and try again, but I have seen similar problems scouting round on the net, with no solution!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast