Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upload speed issue/problem.question

This is a discussion on Upload speed issue/problem.question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Greetings all Been on sky broadband about month or so now. Im a freelancer (I.T). I mainly work at home. ...

alex_richmond86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Upload speed issue/problem.question

Greetings all

Been on sky broadband about month or so now.

Im a freelancer (I.T). I mainly work at home. most of my work involves coding, audi/video editing/creation. Thus having a fast connection is always a plus as most of my clients send me the raw data via ftps etc.

Im pretty happy with my downspeed after getting that sorted first 1-2 weeks into my contract. However i want to see if i can get my upload speed sorted as this would greatly help get my final projects to clients sooner.

At the moment the maximun i can get for upload is 80KB/s. i think it is possible to get 96KB/s on this service. even though a small increase, when uploading audio/video files to clients from europe even that small increase will make a nice difference.

some basic line info

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9032 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 20.3 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 12.5 db

Any other details you need in order to give me advice, just ask

So yeah, bottom line; i would like to know if it is possible to get the increase im after and how to go about it.

This forum was v.helpful in getting my download speed sorted, im hoping it will be the same story with my upseed :d

thnx in advance

Alex

p.s i know that noise margin is bad...its cos its evening...during the daytime the noise margin for downspeed is around 10-13

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Upload speed issue/problem.question

just so you know, the Sky BB service shouldnt be relied upon for a living....its a consumer service...

and tbh, upload won't get much better than it is now as you're already at the highest we offer

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      just so you know, the Sky BB service shouldnt be relied upon for a living....its a consumer service...
      dont start all that again lmao

Thanks

just making people aware.....

alex_richmond86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi thnx for the answer & advice

yeh i know its only consumer service but much cheaper then going on a business line or higher. and i do hav a couple of backups incase this consumer service goes down

Still, thnx for the replies.

Alex

geo48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lancaster
      Broadband ISP: waiting for max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having just come from an 8128(getting 7+ normally) isp where I could download files at (site dependent of course) up to 700 but the average about 400-500, I am now on a line which syncs at 15323, but the max speed test I can get 10+ ish and the average download is now at 200-300. The ping rates have also doubled.
      The problem is I believe that the connection is interleaved , something I believe sky is doing in preparation for mass iptv.
      I only have at this time the interleave data from using the router I was using with the last isp, with sky user/password.
      What is concerning myself is that using the mognuts utility to get the "sky" netgear stats it report the mode as fast ie no interleave. Using DMT also get report of interleave but only with other router. The next step is to get the dmt to work with the netgear if that then conflicts with the netgear it would raise the question as to whether the firmware is masking the true connection type.
      If you have any info I,d greatly appreciate it if you could confirm on what type of connection you are on should you have the capabilities.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just an addition, managed to get DMT working with the netgear router if you can read the pic(this is your field is it not?) you can see that the connection is indeed interleaved. Strangely the stats from the "sky " router says "fast" inferring no interleave here's my stats from the netgear.
      /usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 14.9 13.0
      Attn(dB): 25.0 14.0
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 19780 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 1900763 1900761
      SFErr: 0 1
      RS: 247099216 16156468
      RSCorr: 2453 4
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 1111937580 55452459
      Data Cells: 2206765 171054
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 1
      SES: 1 0
      UAS: 14 17
      Total time = 8 hours 33 min 7 sec
      SF = 1900763
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 1 day time = 8 hours 33 min 7 sec
      SF = 1900763
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 15 minutes time = 3 min 7 sec
      SF = 11613
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

As you can see on 6th line it seems to say "fast" inferring there's no interleave, I can't see any other references to it or figures of 64/8 the downstream and upstream interleave settings. But using DMT it plainly shows the connection to be interleaved.Weird isn't it ( or is it a conspiracy. where's the grassy knoll)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upload speed issue/problem.question-dmtnetgear.jpg  

Thanks

the fact ur on Fast is an oversight and will be changed if found on ur profile, just so you know....Sky doesn't implement Fast path (even though there are users on it for 'testing' - but we can get the sack for doing it)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not trying to go off thread here but assume from your answer "not the enemy" that you work for sky, also use of royal "we" and threat of sack.
      Also will quote you from other thread re interleave I have going you say quote
      "mate, unless you post ur full modem stats then we cant comment on whats going on.....it would appear from what you've said (to me anyway) that your line is only giving you 10mbps odd as this is the most the line will take in its current form (even though you're training up at 15mbps)

i wouldnt worry about it tbh....what difference is an extra 200-oddkbps on ur downlads really gonna make?"

Why dismiss my concern over halved download speeds, as if I'm making a fuss over nothing.
      What I actually wrote was that the "sky" router reports fast even though all other stats point to interleave. If what you are admitting is that sky has a corporate policy of all users being on interleave, you also ask for full stats as I had posted the dynamode stats I can only assume you wanted the sky stats from which it seems the rat is reported as fast' well they're on that thread now.

The issue here is sky advertise a 16Mb service, T2 told me I must have malware because I could not reach the sync speed of 15323(the line is capable of 20 in fact should you disbelieve I can post a speed tests of 24.
      I and most people are not unreasonable and 80% of line capable speed is acceptable but using interleave the service should be advertised as a 12Mb service, I am receiving 60%ish of expected speed download speed has halved and pings doubled and on top of that the supplied equipment does not report the correct nature of the service and I'm sure that I haven't got a one off
      box with that firmware .

Tell me what level are you I can only assume that as you are privy to what appears not common knowledge that you are higher than T2 ?
      Do you think we need a new thread and maybe a sticky to explain about max interleave & pings,download/ upload speeds speeds etc would save a lot of questions

Quick thought
      If you bought a car that looked and you were told was a 2litre twin carb capable of 120 mph and when you tried it could barley get 70 so you take it back and say this performs like a 1600, so the salesman smiles and says Oh no mate thats a 2litre but you can't look under the bonnet but here's a photo graph, and don't worry its only 40 odd mph short just leave earlier!

Well in my opinion the 2litre is max, the photograph is what the firmware reports, now where's that T2 guy and the dyslexic one

Thanks

yes i do work for Sky, at tier 3, and yes we would get the sack if we were caught putting customers on fast path - even though it would appear to solve a lot of issues...

with regard to the 'whats the difference 200kb gonna make' - i stand by it. It's an UP TO 16MB service, and if ur line doesnt sync up correctly then chances are its a router issue or a line issue, simple as....

we can try and tweak line configs but putting someone on Fast at the risk of my job is just not worth it, regardless of what the public thinks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast