Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

network confilict error

This is a discussion on network confilict error within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am recieving this message on my XP and ME computers saying there is a conflict on the network 192.168.0.1. ...

rp07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

network confilict error

I am recieving this message on my XP and ME computers saying there is a conflict on the network 192.168.0.1. Anyone know what this is and why it is getting shown?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: network confilict error

Have you set up XP for Internet Connection Sharing? If so this may be the problem. If have disable or turn it off, it is not necessary unless you are plugging a host PC into the XP one to share the connection. I assume you have both PCs plugged into the router, so go to the properties of the Internet Protocols and make sure you select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is selected on both machines. Reboot them both and your problem should be gone. If it isn't, reboot the router allowing it to allocate new IPs.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The XP is connected by Ethernet but the ME wireless.

I will do what you said and see if it solve it

Edit: The XP is set as automatically obtain IP address, I will check the ME when my dad gets off, lol

Cheers
      Last edited by rp07; 11-06-07 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks

Remember to turn off ICS if it is enabled. You will find it on the Sharing or Advanced Tab in the Internet Protocol Properties. Just untick the box if it is ticked. You must leave 'File and Printer sharing' enabled if you have the machines networked.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I cant find the ICS, so im guessing it isnt enabled? Is that what it will be displayed as in the TCP/IP box?

The ME had automattically get IP address when the error was shown, same on my XP :s

Its wierd

help@hand is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whats happening here is the two computers are trying to grab the same ip address from the router, the easiest way to combat this is to set one computers ip address as 192.168.0.2 and the others as 192.168.0.3 set both dns to 212.135.1.36 & 195.40.1.36 and happy surfing

ps the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Thanks

Having thought about it, I am convinced that ICS must be enabled, probably on the XP machine. The thing is when you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to the XP PC is assigned a static IP address of 192.168.0.1. This is the conflict that you are getting, as this just happens to be the address of the router!

To check
      Open the Network Folder in the Control Panel, right click on the LAN connection and select Properties.
      When the pane opens, click on the Advanced tab. You will see a box with a tick in it next to '
      Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.' Remove the tick.
      There will also be a box for File and Printer etc, you can leave this ticked.
      If you have more than one adapter installed, use the drop-down box to find the one you are using for Broadband. If the XP PC is not showing as 'enabled', check the ME one in the same way.

If this does not fix it then there is a corruption in one of the PCs. Allocating static addresses may work, but really it is just covering up a problem, not fixing it.