Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What the heck is going on with World of Warcraft?

This is a discussion on What the heck is going on with World of Warcraft? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been playing this game all the time I've been on Sky and it's been going fine but over the ...

Flukes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Macclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What the heck is going on with World of Warcraft?

I've been playing this game all the time I've been on Sky and it's been going fine but over the past week I have been getting TERRIBLE pings and absolutely horrible lagspikes. The game is pretty much unplayable like this and I'm seriously sick of it... I am sure nothing has changed on my end.

Is anyone else getting this problem who plays WoW? And anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Sky to sort it out since they seem to like messing people around on the phones.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What the heck is going on with World of Warcraft?

World of Warcraft is published by Vivendi (a French company) and so when the descion to where to host the european servers came it was pretty much no surprise when they decided to host the game in France.

Unfortunately the only major ISP that could possibly handle this sort of traffic in France is Telia. and you think that Sky,Virgin,BT are bad at times, then you haven't seen how bad telia can be.

I have been playing WoW since it's start and every few weekse server clusters or whole countries are unable to play due to massive lag/latency and when people complain to Blizzard they say that there is nothing wrong at their end for a few weeks later they then admit that Telia have had a massive problem but nobody from Telia wanted to find it or admit to having one.

People in Turkey and Greece were unable to play for 6 months and were told that it was a problem with all Turkish and Greek ISP's and in this country Virgin customers have been complaining of huge latency's since christmas.

Now you have had the back story there are some things to try.

1-Create a character on another server cluster and see if the problem is still there.
      2-Try playing your character in off peak times and see if that is any better.
      3-Check the offical WoW forums for any posts if anybody else on your server/ISP is getting the same problem.

If the lag gets better then it's definately a Telia/Blizzard issue the only way to get it resolved is to contact Blizzard and they'll ask you for numerous traceroutes and then probably sit on it for weeks.

This is why I have packed WoW in and moved to Lord Of the Rings Online a much better customer service, and I am not missing WoW 1 bit (also they have introduced a lifetime membership of 150 so if you are going to play for a couple of years it could be a very good investment)

Flukes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Macclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for the post.

Well to be honest I am pretty sure the problem is with Sky. I have played WoW for 2 years now and it's been OK on Sky for the last couple of months but just recently (this past week) it's been doing this.

No one else on the server is having this problem and my friend who is on Sky is having a similar problem. I don't really want to play any other game I just want WoW back so it's actually playable.

Is there someone specific or some department I should call at Sky to get this sorted quickly rather than being given the run around and being told to plug my router into my fridge or whatever the Tier 1 lot come out with.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your best bet is to email Sky and blizzard and explain the situation, this won't run up a huge phone bill on the 0870 number and it may get to the correct department quicker.

If you have access to a fax machine you can always fax customer services as well on 01506 484701.

I have a sneaking feeling all you'll get is a "it's not our problem" and it seems that these big ISP's refuse to talk to each other. I had this exact same problem when I was with BT all of us with BT in my guild had horrible pings etc in peak times for over 2 months then suddenly one day it started working again, as I said earlier Virgin customers have been having this for months on end.

There is also 1 last more drastic solution to your problem you could always try playing on the US server.

There is currently a free 10 day trial offer, and although it says it's only valid for the US etc I know plenty of people who have created accounts in the UK and you can try the US version for 10 days. If yo ucan play on the US version with no problems it pretty much puts the problem at Telia/Blizzards end.

10 day US trial can be found at:

10-Day Free Trial

I don't think the problem is at Sky's end as I have been playing other online games since I joined sky and I haven't had any problems.

ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im having ping problems as well i cant get a css server under 100 ping its ridiculous