Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wired Connection to Netgear DG834GT Router

This is a discussion on Wired Connection to Netgear DG834GT Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm sorry, I am getting a bit confused. I thought you were trying to connect a PC at your home ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wired Connection to Netgear DG834GT Router

I'm sorry, I am getting a bit confused. I thought you were trying to connect a PC at your home to the router via wire. Then to your Work PC via VPN. The suggestions I made are based on this, if your Work PC is not at your home address and connected by wire to the router, they will not work.

2. Advertisement
      Access is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aoplogies for not getting back to you before now.

The configuration that I have at home is :

1 Desktop PC and 1 Laptop PC both connected to Sky Broadband via wireless. Both of these work fine.

1 Work Laptop which when I need to connect to the office (for security reasons) I have to connect via a wired connection - wireless is not permitted. When I plug in the wired connection the PC tried to setup a LAN connection to the router but fails.

Regards

Thanks

I am with you now, try my suggestion for giving it an assigned address. Switch off the other two while you are doing it. Also instead of making it PC 192.168.0.2, make it 192.168.0.9. This should completely avoid conflicts.

The only problem is that if you are networking with it at the office, you would have to change it back, which might not be too convenient. In saying that your office IT bod has not set it up with an assigned address for the office network has he?

Access is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I have tried your idea. I got the IP settings updated on my work lap top and as a result (not sure how) I was not able to logon. The explanation that I was provided by my IP dept was that at boot up (even when there was no network connection in the PC ) the PC was looking for the IP address that we had hard coded, and tried to validate user id and password in respect of that IP address. Not sure if this is the case or not , however with the hard coded IP address my logon id a nd password failed , when the hard coded IP address was removed, it worked ok.

So it appears that I will have to look elsewhere for a solution.

Any ideas?

regards

Thanks

If by 'logon', you mean to the laptop operating system, there is no reason why it should fail. It may slow the opening down a bit, as it will look for the network connection, but it will not stop it starting. If you mean you failed to logon to your work network, it will fail, as I mentioned above. I am afraid I have not much more to suggest, the only thing I can think of, is changing the address of the Netgear router to match the address of your work network. I am not even sure if this can be done with the Sky router.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12