Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching from UK Online

This is a discussion on Switching from UK Online within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm a Sky+ user and am seriously considering a switch to Sky Broadband. I have my BROADxxxxx allocation code and ...

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Switching from UK Online

I'm a Sky+ user and am seriously considering a switch to Sky Broadband. I have my BROADxxxxx allocation code and spoke to the call centre today and I suppose I have no reason to disbelieve what they told me, despite what would appear to be its total madness, but since it does seem so crazy I would be interested in other people's comments.

I am currently signed up with UK Online 8Mb service which I believe is part of Easynet and if I understand correctly it is actually Easynet infrastructure (and hence in part UK Online infrastructure?) that is being used by Sky Broadband. Having said this however, the Sky customer service representative read off a list and told me that because UK Online is a LLU service that it is on their list as an ISP that won't be able to supply a MAC code to me. This doesn't 100% tally with what I read here but the end result may be the same I fear. UK Online did tell me that they could supply me with a MAC code (but haven't done so yet) but somewhere here I saw it phrased that Sky Broadband won't then accept that MAC code becuase it is from an LLU unbundled service.

So, is it really the case that I will need to cancel my UK Online contract, wait for it to be disconnected, and then get Sky to connect me, possibly by plugging back in exactly the same plug into exactly the same port as UK Online unplugged the week before? If so then is there any way to be a bit cleverer about this, e.g. can I ask Sky to pre-dispatch my router a couple of weeks before switchon just so I can hopefully eliminate any possible issues with routers delayed in the post or similar? Is there any other advice people can offer me?

- Julian
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 12-09-06 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added username

2. Advertisement
      Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks
      Just to clarify, Sky bought EasyNet / UK Online in October 2005.
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Chu-Fye is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm a Sky+ user and am seriously considering a switch to Sky Broadband. I have my BROADxxxxx allocation code and spoke to the call centre today and I suppose I have no reason to disbelieve what they told me, despite what would appear to be its total madness, but since it does seem so crazy I would be interested in other people's comments.

I am currently signed up with UK Online 8Mb service which I believe is part of Easynet and if I understand correctly it is actually Easynet infrastructure (and hence in part UK Online infrastructure?) that is being used by Sky Broadband. Having said this however, the Sky customer service representative read off a list and told me that because UK Online is a LLU service that it is on their list as an ISP that won't be able to supply a MAC code to me. This doesn't 100% tally with what I read here but the end result may be the same I fear. UK Online did tell me that they could supply me with a MAC code (but haven't done so yet) but somewhere here I saw it phrased that Sky Broadband won't then accept that MAC code becuase it is from an LLU unbundled service.

So, is it really the case that I will need to cancel my UK Online contract, wait for it to be disconnected, and then get Sky to connect me, possibly by plugging back in exactly the same plug into exactly the same port as UK Online unplugged the week before? If so then is there any way to be a bit cleverer about this, e.g. can I ask Sky to pre-dispatch my router a couple of weeks before switchon just so I can hopefully eliminate any possible issues with routers delayed in the post or similar? Is there any other advice people can offer me?

- Julian
      She is right..

If you are on LLU, then you will have to start the whole thing over.

Sorry mate.. she is right!

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks Ralph & Chu-Fye. As I feared, the world of Sky Broadband is as crazy as I'd feared.

Having a multi-day (at best) cut-off period is a big problem for me. I think this will kill my plans but maybe I'll look to schedule a changeover in December when I won't need it for work so much (I work from home).

I think I'm going to start a new thread on how to deal with a no-MAC cutover to kick around a few ideas.

- Julian

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Julian sign up and then we know who we are talking to

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Julian sign up and then we know who we are talking to

Done. Here I am!

- Julian