Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Odd Connection Problem

This is a discussion on Odd Connection Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i hope this is in the right room, Anyway my problem is a very temperamental connection with sky broadband. ...

Rob_Mills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Odd Connection Problem

Hi i hope this is in the right room,

Anyway my problem is a very temperamental connection with sky broadband.

My line was activated on the 1st september and i have been experiencing problems eversince. I have been connecting my computer wirelessly and the connection keeps cutting out and running very slow. Doing speed tests the maximum with wireless has been 3.8Mb/s but this often drops to less than 500Kb/s (ps im on the 16Mb/s and tests sky did said my line can handle 13Mb/s).

Well seeing as it was not working well with wireless i tried it using the ethernet cable and i have had no problems with speed or it cutting out, on speed tests i am getting approx 9Mb/s. The thing is is that it is not practical for me to have my pc connected up by ethernet cable so i need to be connected wirelessly.

Previously i was with Orange on the 2Mb/s package and i was using wireless and i never had a single problem and this was using a netgear router.

Another thing is that when i try it wirelessly i seem to be always connected to the router as it says this in Windows network connections and also in the belkin software for my wireless adapter for my desktop.

Also the 2nd pc in my house experiences the exact same problems.

These problems occur when both pcs are on and when just 1 pc is on.

My dad has spent several hours on the phone to sky but to no avail and in the end the 1 woman who spoke to him told him to leave it connected with the ethernet cable for a couple of weeks while the settles down and finds the most suitable connection.

The thing is i dont understand why it works perfectly with the ethernet cable but when i go wireless i have all these problems.

Thanks for reading! Any help would be greatly appreciated as im tearing my hair out! lol

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      What speed are the wireless cards?

802.11b (11Mb), 802.11g (54Mb), 802.11n (108Mb) or greater.

The 3.8Mb speed is what I would expect when connected to a 802.11b (11Mb) device as this is near to the maximum for this.

If you are connecting the wireless devices via USB this could also be slowing you down if your not connecting to a UBS2 port.

Next time the speed drops try looking at the signal strength on the PC.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The router is 108Mb and the adapters i am using are 54Mb

O and the adapters are conected with USB2

vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      ive experienced the same thing with wireless.

i could be connected at 108mbps and very high signal, but even then the throughput is pants. tried with 3 usb dongles and gave up. and the router was only in the next room, no thick walls or anything.

nothing compared to a wired connection

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Vishal did u manage to get it working properly with the wireless? or have u just left it connected with a cable?

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well use 802.11g for my 8mbps and i can max it out ovr wireless. So you should be able to at least improve your throughput. Change your wireless settings to 802.11g mode ONLY then see if speed increases. Because by having it mixed mode speed does decrease as it sends across all bandwidths 802.11a/b/g/n