Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Old ISP - account still live?

This is a discussion on Old ISP - account still live? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is covered in the Code of Practice issued by Ofcom. The following is an extract- MAC validity and migration ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Old ISP - account still live?

This is covered in the Code of Practice issued by Ofcom. The following is an extract-
      MAC validity and migration dates

A1.15 The Communications Provider shall not terminate the Broadband Service on account of the MAC validity period expiring unless the Communications Provider has received notification that the End-Userís Broadband Service has been migrated to another Communications Provider.
      I think this makes it clear that the old ISP cannot just close an account because a MAC has been issued. It is up to the end user (you) to notify the old ISP that you have left, don't depend on someone doing it for you. The full document can be found here-
      Migrations Authorisation Code (MAC) Broadband Migrations Process | Ofcom

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete22 View Post
      I have migrated from BT to Sky using a Mac code, but notice that my BT account (email) still remains active. Phoning BT today to check regarding cancellation of their service, they report that they have heard nothing regarding the move from SKY.
      The same happened to me when I left BT. I had to get them to cancel my account after I discovered it was still active and they were going to charge me for another month with them. It was only after I stopped the direct debit did they sit up and take notice. It took over a month to sort it all out because at first they said I owed them money and then that they owed me money. Finally they sent me a cheque for £8 or so and that was that.

Regarding your email, it will continue to work for a good few months yet. I migrated to Sky last October and it was only 3 weeks ago that it stopped working. They did send me a few emails stating that I could pay £1.50 a month to keep it but as I only got spam on it, it wasn't worth keeping.
      Last edited by Alan b; 22-08-07 at 11:23 PM.

pete22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply Alan B. Seeing that others in this thread had problems with continued payments to BT long after their accounts had been closed, I have closed my Direct Debit to BT until such time as I am satified that they have indeed cancelled my account.

Thanks for the continued very useful advice!!!

pete22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

A quick update.

Received a letter from BT dated 22 August 2007, to say my BT broadband would cease on the 20th. This was correct as I switched to Sky Broadband on the 20th. Accessing my BT telephone account online, I was unable to accessing my Calling Plan details - only a note to telephone an advisor.

Phoning BT customer services, I was told my BT phone line was being cancelled as well as BT broadband being cancelled on the 28th. I explained that I wanted the BT telephone line still and that they had cancelled BT broadband on the 20th and they themselves had written to confirm this.

In spite of this, they are still going to cancel the already cancelled BT broadband service on the 28th. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Not looking forward to the 28th!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123