Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems getting modem to sync (not sky)

This is a discussion on Problems getting modem to sync (not sky) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If this posting is in wrong section, then i apologise, and request it be moved to the appropraite place. I ...

barnsleyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wombwell
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems getting modem to sync (not sky)

If this posting is in wrong section, then i apologise, and request it be moved to the appropraite place.
      I have previously set up my wireless sky without any problem. My parents have just gone onto talk talk and asked me to set up their broadband.

There phone socket is downstairs in the living room and has a 3 way splitter - one for the phone in the living room, one for an extension to the front room, one for an extension to the bedroom. I am trying to get the modem to work in the bedroom. The green 'sy' light just keeps flashing intermittently and if i connect to the modem (192.168.1.1) and check the status it seems to alternate between 'starting training' and 'starting handshake'.

If i plug the modem directly into the phone socket downstairs (whilst not connected to computer) the SYC lights flashes a while and then stays lit, leading me to believe that the modem has connected (although I cannot check this as a pc is not connected downstairs).

I was only sent one phone splitter, so had it located at the end on the phone extension upstairs. So i unplugged the other phone lines downstairs so that the extension i was connecting on was the only connected wire.

Is it likely that the existence of a 10 metre phone extension cable between the phone socket and the modem would cause the modem not to sync. I would be reluctant to try a wireless setup as they are on a low income, and they live in an old house with thick walls, and i am unsure whether a wireless signal could travel from the living room to the bedroom.

What are my options - is there any way that the signal can be tweaked so that it would work through the extension, or are there any workarounds regarding the extension.

Any help would appreciated. My mum is gutted that i cannot get the broadband to work.

Simon

2. Advertisement
      TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Problems getting modem to sync (not sky)

How have you connected it?

1. [master socket]-microfilter-splitter------------------modem/router
      or
      2. [master socket]-splitter----------------------------microfilter-modem/router

If it's 1 then you have filtered out the ADSL signal hence why you wont connect, if it's 2 then you should test your splitter and extention cable

hope that helps
      Powered by Sky Broadband Unlimited

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It was set up as

[master socket]-splitter----------------------------microfilter-modem/router

I even removed the splitter and connected the extension cable direct into the master socket, so it was actually

[master socket]-extension-------------------------microfilter-modem/router

Should a signal go through a 10 metre extension cable without problem. My mum can connect using dialup through this extension, suggesting the extension ought to be ok (unless broadband uses part of the cable not used by dialup).

I think i will try connecting again using a separate 15m extension reel that I have.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Plug in extension cables can be troublesome they are often cheap and nasty cable not designed for broadband signals. Firstly you need to check the router is actually connected and working when it is downstairs either by borrowing a laptop or moving the computer. If it is working Ok, then best solution would be to position the router by the main socket then run a data cable from the router to the computer. Second option would be to install a hardwired extension with proper twisted pair cable.
      But if you can position router by the main socket this would be best.
      Last edited by Koala5; 05-06-07 at 04:58 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      If it is working Ok, then best solution would be to position the router by the main socket then run a data cable from the router to the computer. Second option would be to install a proper hardwired extension with proper twisted pair cable.
      What sort of 'data cable' does this need to be - do you mean a long network cable (could it be 20 metres?). If so, can it go via a small hub, since it may be difficult to have it permanaently connected between the router downstairs and the computer upstairs - at least my old mum could disconect one of the cables from the hub, so she could not keep tripping up over the wires etc.

"twisted paid cable" - what is this - is it something that I would do, or does it need a BT engineer.

Thanks for the advice so far
      Last edited by barnsleyfan; 05-06-07 at 04:20 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep the data cable can be 10 - 20 metres without causing a problem. It would be best to route one length in a way that it is hidden as much as poss not trailing across doorways etc, it can be run outside the building if necessary.
      Twisted pair is the cable BT use, it reduce's noise. It can be brought from decent diy stores and the likes of maplin etc. If you go down that route then only connect pins 2 and 5 in the back of of the sockets. Bare in mind that any plug in extensions may still generate noise and problems on the line even if they are not feeding the router, so it would be best to replace them all.
      There are a couple of threads on this subject on the forum, search for telephone wiring/telephone extensions.
      Last edited by Koala5; 05-06-07 at 04:58 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a suggestion, before you go to the expense of changing the wiring, see if you can borrow a wireless adapter. Even in an old house, with real walls, there is a chance of getting a signal. Remember a USB adapter can be connected through a USB extension and so can be moved to find the best reception. This is assuming they have Wireless modem.

Highspeed modem leads are available in lengths of up to and maybe even over 20 M. Ultra High Speed ADSL Cables Maplins have a good range.