Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT disconnected my phone by mistake and now my broadband has gone down

This is a discussion on BT disconnected my phone by mistake and now my broadband has gone down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Anyone had this happen before? Last week while I was on holiday BT disconnected my phone (their mistake). It was ...

Mike Wilcox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT disconnected my phone by mistake and now my broadband has gone down

Anyone had this happen before?
      Last week while I was on holiday BT disconnected my phone (their mistake). It was reconnected on Saturday but the broadband connection has not come back on with it - the internet light on the router is not lit.

Before BT disconnected the phone my broadband connection had been running fine for about 3 months so I am fairly sure there is no problem with the equipment or any of the connections at my end. I am guessing that the phone line going off has triggered something on the Sky equipment that needs to be reset or turned back on.

I have logged a call with Sky and am waiting for a call back from tier 3 but from previous experience this could take weeks to get resolved.

Has anyone had this experience before and any ideas as to how I could solve it without waiting weeks for tier 3?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: BT disconnected my phone by mistake and now my broadband has gone down

they'll have reverted the line back to PSTN only (they normally do this when the voice line has a problem)

we have to log a fault to BT to rejumper the line for BB and it *should* come back up...

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it's been disconnected then it should have been sent to Tier 2, not Tier 3.
      It'll get dealt with if it's gone to Tier 3, but it'll take a lot longer.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought 'stop-starts' required a full cease of the line and a new order (17 days or so)

Mike Wilcox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is this something I should take up with BT to try and make it happen quicker or should i just leave it to the Sky guys to contact them?

I only know what the tier 1 operator said when i logged the fault which was that it had been sent onto tier 3 to resolve and i should wait for a call back within 5 working days

Any thoughts on how long this might take to get the service back up and running? ( I had a "tie pairs" issue when first connected and it took 7 weeks to resolve)

I am also planning to make a complaint to BT and demand compensation for the inconvenience caused by their error

Springbok12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi there

I have just been waiting for BT to re connect my phone as I lost my dial tone and my sky broadband was very intermittent. I now have my dial tone back but no broadband. The BT engineer said it was to do with the connectors called tie pairs??? - the connection between the broadband equipment and the BT line in the Exchange. Sky have said it will be 3-5 days for a response.
      Can anyone shed any light on this - tie pairs???
      cheers

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the tie pairs are the cables connecting your line to the equipment in the exchange. If BT are saying you have faulty ties then we'd need to get them 'replaced', but tier 3 deal with them so chances are if u got to tier 1 and they do a tone test it should fail, they'll then pass it on to tier 2 who should pass it on to tier 3 so we can order new ties...

Springbok12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for your help,it is with tier 3 now,thanks again

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      I thought 'stop-starts' required a full cease of the line and a new order (17 days or so)
      It depends if the PSTN line was ceased or simply disconnected. If the circuit ID is invalid then it'll be a stop/start type affair, otherwise it's just logging as a fault. Either way, it'll be quicker for this to be discovered by Tier 2.